Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Ignition replace or column replace

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Ckid9670 
#1 ·
Picked up a junker for 300$ after a car accident... So now I have two 2007 cobalts in my yard. A coupe and a sedan.

The sedan has a shaved key and so naturally the anti theft is turned on.

So it doesn't crank but the key is shaved in a way that the ignition cylinder turned still.

So I assume that I could potentially Rob my crashed coupe of the ignition cylinder and computers to make the sedan work. (Local Chevy dealership said that would work)

So far I've removed all the panels and the airbags from both (again their both 2007 models) but when I go to get a steering wheel puller and yank the wheel out I come to the problem that the steering wheel is not threaded where you insert the bolts for the puller.

That issue has me against a wall because I don't want to ruin the clock spring in both cars.

So I'm pondering if I pull the steering column will my lock cylinder come out with it. (Side note dash on sedan says "power steering" and I hope the coupe column cleers that up)

At this point since I am unable to pull the steering wheel I want to know if the lock cylinder will come out or if anyone has a tip or trick on how to pull the steering wheel

See less See more
#3 ·
Lock will come out with the column but you will need to match the key with the Body Control Module and the Remote trancever.
This can be done with a TechIi or the dealer can do it. Many lock smiths can do this too.
Look up remote key transmitter. BTW this is the same transmitter that also monitors tire pressure on 08s and later

With the steering wheel nut on but loose, a good 2 handed jerk should pop it loose from the shaft.
You want the nut on so that when the wheel comes off you don’t end up with a mouth full of steering wheel..

#4 ·
Hah "mouth full of steering wheel" nice one

So i swapped columns after all, anti theft is no longer active on the guages. I swapped computers (on the side of the fuse block under the hood) and still no crank.

Does it still need programing? Or do I have an electrical issue? I don't hear the fuel pump or any thing.
Someone put a bump button on the starter, so I can at least say it isnt seized but of course a bump button wont activate the pump

#5 ·
Yes and now you you have 2 modules that need to be matched,
since you swapped out the ECU ( “on the side of the fuse block under the hood”).
You will need to get the ECU matched and get the ignition keys matched.

Does your radio still work? Are thes LS models or LTs? Where about are you located?

#6 ·
I'm not sure the sub model on either but I can say all computers under the hood, the ignition cylinder, and the bcm are all swapped now but the bcm clicks when the key is off. I'm going to swap them out again and pay a friend to do the programming

Also the radio came from the donor car and it does nothing so yeah I'm certain it's a programming issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.