Coolant Leaking Out of PCV Valve and on Oil Cap. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Coolant Leaking Out of PCV Valve and on Oil Cap.

Last couple of months I have been getting alot and I mean alot of blow by Yellow/White Gunk from the PCV valve on my 2.2 Cobalt that recirculates into the intake. I have setup a catch can but the amount just seems to get thicker and more of it every time I check. Also I get a decent amount of it on the dipstick and oil cap.

Thinking it could be the headgasket and wanted to know what others think and also if there is a Headgasket tutorial on this site as I will prob do it anyway just to be safe. I also have the smog pump on my car and was wondering if that could cause issues and if it could be removed.

Thanks for any help with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Contributor

The yellow/white gunk is water from one of 2 things or both.
A: a defect in the water to oil interface (1: head gasket, 2: crack in head, 3: crack in block )
B: moisture from the air the engine breaths condensing inside the engine.

So first, what is your normal drive cycle, or how long / how far do you normally drive. With the normaly quick engine warm up time, any thing longer than 2 miles should be long enough (summer time mid-US). Cooler climates will take a bit longer. Now many very short hops and never getting the engine up to temp for long enough allows the moisture to collect and condense into a “yellow/white gunk”

To test for water leak one can get a good pressure gauge and pressurize the cooling system and see how well the system holds pressure.
For a short term repair of a water leak, one can try one of the many “coolant leak stop” products on the market.

BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode