Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Brand New Control Arms: Ball Joint Play?????

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kcg795 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 cobalt LT and I keep having ball joint problems.
-Struts/both (entire strut replaced) FL under 6 months old. FR 15 months old
-New swaybar bushing and end links:1 month old
-New control arms: installed yesterday.
-Front hubs: about a year old.
-Front right spindle: Used replacement-installed 15 months ago:
*I have gone through control arms at an alarming rate.
*Today I installed new control arms and took the car to get aligned. The shop couldn't align because there's tons of play with the ball joints.
I installed (myself/ DIY job) ULTRA-POWER RK620302 & ULTRA-POWER RK620301 control arms from RockAuto.

*I reused the ball joint pinch bolts.
*I have rear drums and according to everything I've read, so that means I have the FE1 soft ride.
I'm at my wits' end. The last set of control arms lasted less than 4 months: ball joints had too much play.
I drive Uber for a living and haven't been able to work for over 10 days now. Can someone please help! I can't imagine the ball joints being bad, they felt stiff before installing. I can't fathom the ball joints going bad the 3 miles I drove to the alignment shop.
The alignment shop (pep boys) didn't have time to diagnose it and I don't have the money to.
Here is a video I took with the car on the lift
https://youtu.be/bJGq_1b_PgA

See less See more
#3 ·
Try either the OEM GM 2006-2007 FE5 Control Arms or try Mevotech's CMS50174 and CMS50173
These are forged aluminum lower control arms with baljoints.
Remember, Chevy changed the FE5 baljoint on the 2008SS so do NOT use them on your LT. The 2006-2007 FE5 will slide right in.
I have had no complaints on the Mevotechs with all other parts for a FE5 suspension on my 08LS.
It handles very well.
That is coupled with Stock GM FE5 shocks & struts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.