06 Cobalt Rough Idle/Stall when Stopping or Quick Deceleration - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

UPDATED SEE LAST POST 06 Cobalt Rough Idle/Stall when Stopping or Quick Deceleration

Hello All,

Here is the problem I have.

06 Cobalt LT 2.2l 103065 Miles

When decelerating on the freeway to come to a virtual stop for traffic, when stopping at a stop light, when pulling out of the driveway, or at any point when the RPM's fall quickly to idle speed I have an irratic idle.

Idle will fluctuate between 300-750 rpms

Normal idle is around 750 rpms

This morning it actually stalled when I was pulling up to a stop sign to pull out of my subdivision. It did restart right away.

When the Idle is rought the lights dim on the car, power steering becomes weak, and other problems you would expect when your idle drops and your car is about to stall.

No check engine lights come on at all (I wish they did, I have a nice scantool).

If I decelerate slowly, or have been driving at even driving conditions (not alot of accelerating then decelerating) this doesn't really happen.

Any ideas? Has anyone had this happen?

I just bought this car alittle over a month ago and rely on it so I need to figure this out and get it fixed.

Last edited by dragon300zx; 12-18-2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
I just had my cavalier worked on to fix its rough idle, when in drive(automatic) it would settle down for a few than start up and i would have to stay in the gas alittle to keep it from shaking. They cleaned up my maf, injectors and things like that so this could be what you have to do to the balt. Has the fuel filter been done since being bought? These are the simple things to get taken care of first. Can be pricey if you have a shop do it but if you do not know how than its the best bet.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:20 AM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
ummm...well....wow....first off welcome to yourcobalt.com

second....it could be a number of things...battery, alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, coil packs, computers goin bad.

Thats weird man

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
yea, that is why I said he should look at the simple things like I mentioned. Hate for them to get into some expensive stuff and it be something easy. with that mileage it could be just basic stuff.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 AM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
yea, that is why I said he should look at the simple things like I mentioned. Hate for them to get into some expensive stuff and it be something easy. with that mileage it could be just basic stuff.

yea thats what im thinkin....the car has alot of mileage on it so it wouldn't hurt to change everything. plus check all the fluids too.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yep yep!

Oh and welcome too! Anymore que's just ask!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Forum God

^sounds like that would be a good idea to start with. Check the small stuff, let us know if that improves the issue, if not let us know what ended up being wrong. Try the DIY section for some how-tos on these kind of things. I think the section should help you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I'm hoping it's not the computers...

I'm going to skip school tonight I think and work on this in the cold dark garage (I hate michigan).

I wish the damn thing would just throw a code already.

BTW my exp is mainly with Nissan 300zx's, Malibu 3.1's (3100), and Vortech 4.3's. I have replaced engines in Astro vans, 300zx's, etc so doing the work isn't gonna be a problem. "Why pay someone else to screw up something I can break on my own"

It's finding the right work to do when there is no engine code.

That said it is a solid car other than this, no leaks, body is perfect, etc. I got it for 50% of the bluebook cost for a private sale/trade in.

I now have two of these (My 06 and my GF's 05, both are white sedans :( ) so I'm sure I will be spending time here from now on.

Last edited by dragon300zx; 12-16-2009 at 08:09 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Last Night I did spark plugs, 1 and 3 were really bad, 2 and 4 were ok.

I also replaced air filter.

Plus I started running some fuel injector cleaner through the system.

The throttle body is filthy as well as the tube that connects the air intake to the valve cover so I'm going to clean all of that stuff up tonight.

Problem is is so damn irratic you can't tell if you have fixed the right part unless you drive it around several different times in several different coniditions.

Argh it's driving me nuts and on top of that my antenna broke last night so I have to figure out some way to connect the new antenna wire to the old antenna wire or rerun the whole thing.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon300zx View Post
Last Night I did spark plugs, 1 and 3 were really bad, 2 and 4 were ok.

I also replaced air filter.

Plus I started running some fuel injector cleaner through the system.

The throttle body is filthy as well as the tube that connects the air intake to the valve cover so I'm going to clean all of that stuff up tonight.

Problem is is so damn irratic you can't tell if you have fixed the right part unless you drive it around several different times in several different coniditions.

Argh it's driving me nuts and on top of that my antenna broke last night so I have to figure out some way to connect the new antenna wire to the old antenna wire or rerun the whole thing.
That's more than likely your problem...remove it and use CRC throttle body cleaner. Idle is controlled by the throttle blade on drive by wire cars like your balt....so yea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode