Guess WTF is Wrong?! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ADIDASS Send a message via Yahoo to ADIDASS
Guess WTF is Wrong?!

Yeah, so I go out to my car tonight. I haven't started it in a few days, so I decide that I want to take it to town to go to the mall with my g/f. I get in the car and it's pretty dark in the car anyway so I didn't pay much attention to if the interior map lights came on because there is a security motion light that shines right into the car. I turn the key as I always do and before I even get a chance to step on the clutch to start it, my car starts wigging out. I'm like WTF?

So, I see all these lights going on and off and on and off and these click, click, click, clickclick, click, clickclick, click, noises going off as if it's trying to power up. My headlights are tripping out turning on and off and on and finally off, and the radio is on, but no sound is coming out of the speakers and when I tried to start the car, I didn't even have a clicking sound, and I mean nothing, it was silent.

So, I'm thinking it must be a dead battery, but how? All my lights were off and the only aftermarket part I have are my 6k HID Gen 3 Projectors, and they are plug-n-play. So I popped open the trunk by hitting the button in the car and pull the truck up behind it. There is juice running through the car, otherwise the trunk button wouldn't have worked... The keyless entry wouldn't work though. I forgot to check the horn. Anyway, I open up the trunk, the light didn't come on, and I start to hook up the cables. As soon as I hooked up the cables, the trunk light lit up. I figured, hmm that was weird, but at least I'm getting power, I wait only 30 seconds before trying to start the car and it cranks normally and starts. I let the car run for about three to four minutes, hesitant to take it to town. I didn't want it to die while I was up there as well. I shut the car off to see if it would start back up, because car batteries don't just recharge all of a sudden. So, I turn it off and try to start it back up again, and bingo, it starts up, just as normal as could be. I'm thinking to myself, WTF, again! So I decide to take it to town and it has worked fine since.

The car is a 2009 SS/TC that has 6500 miles on it. I had the battery cables off about a month ago to pop the airbag off to paint the trim, but the car has ran fine since. Never had a problem like this before. Let me know if you have any questions or need any other information to try to guess WTF is wrong.

Thanks!

Neil

Edit: When I say cables - I mean Jumper Cables.

Black 2009 SS/TC|20% Tint|Ark Shorty Antenna|Customized License Plate Cover|Customized Front Bowtie|Weathertech Vent Visors|3rd Generation Projectors w/ 6k HID's|IPCW LED Tails|3rd Brake Light Mod w/ Vinyl Overlay|Reflective Black SS Inlays|Nightshaded Side Markers|E-brake Mod|Redlinegoods Shifter/E-brake Boots|AVIC-Z110BT Headunit|Di-Noc 3M Dry Carbon Fiber Trim|Armrest w/ Cover|MRZ "Cobalt SS" Door Sills|K&N Drop-in Filter|GMS1|Goodyear Eagle GT AS Tires|

Last edited by ADIDASS; 12-18-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I know this is a long shot, and I would only ask because I have done this... Are you sure you tightened up the battery cables completely?

The only other thing I can think of off hand is a short in your electrical system.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ADIDASS Send a message via Yahoo to ADIDASS
Yeah that's what my g/f's dad kept saying about the battery cables. But it was over a month ago since I've had them off, why all of a sudden would that not work, and I really didn't do anything to move them to get it working again, so why would it start working again by jumping it?

I'm pretty sure they are secured down, I can't move them any further.

Yeah, I just thought it might be a short somewhere too.. I don't know... buggin the crap out of me. Makes me think I'm going to get up for work and be late because I can't start my car!

Black 2009 SS/TC|20% Tint|Ark Shorty Antenna|Customized License Plate Cover|Customized Front Bowtie|Weathertech Vent Visors|3rd Generation Projectors w/ 6k HID's|IPCW LED Tails|3rd Brake Light Mod w/ Vinyl Overlay|Reflective Black SS Inlays|Nightshaded Side Markers|E-brake Mod|Redlinegoods Shifter/E-brake Boots|AVIC-Z110BT Headunit|Di-Noc 3M Dry Carbon Fiber Trim|Armrest w/ Cover|MRZ "Cobalt SS" Door Sills|K&N Drop-in Filter|GMS1|Goodyear Eagle GT AS Tires|

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Forum Regular

since this is my first car and i've only had it for 3 weeks, the closest thing to a car that i moded was my two four wheelers and one dirt bike and one pocket bike.

i used to ALWAYS take apart wires and engine parts and much more. I never really did my best at fixing it and i kinda did a sloppy job like not fully securing the wires or taping them up, ect ect.

since the way u fixed it was by ajusting the wires, it must be a problem with the wires, like the fuses or connection or w/e. thats just how i kinda figured things back then.

so to sum up, it's probualy a small problem like above that probualy wont happen again if u inspect every thing, tape up the wires more, secure better, make sure theres no bare wire showing, ect.

if it happens again then maybe have that man check it out
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
The issue is "if". I think that I would leave it parked in such a way that it can be easily jumped in case it does happen again, and go with what you got. It could just be one of those things you may never see again.

They make cars so damn complicated these days.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Forum Regular

that is kinda what i ment to say....people view cars as what they see on the outside, but most dont think about all the wires and moving parts. a car is a machine, not a toy, so they break and there are problems. plus not all cobalts are made the exact same.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Forum Regular

"I haven't started it in a few days,"

it was pouting...lol...seriously though I was thinking battery terminals...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will mpg View Post
I know this is a long shot, and I would only ask because I have done this... Are you sure you tightened up the battery cables completely?

The only other thing I can think of off hand is a short in your electrical system.
I'm thinking a short or check the ground and see if it is touching the metal continuously. I dont know, just throwin my 2 cents in.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
i just had that same problem after my battery died the day before

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
ive been having problems with my headlights not turning off, even when the fogs go off... check into the BCM (body control module). im not saying thats it. but could be a good place to start. im 07 ls btw....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode