Rear Window Defroster Problem - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerVeteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Foximus Send a message via MSN to Foximus Send a message via Yahoo to Foximus Send a message via Skype™ to Foximus
Rear Window Defroster Problem

Okay, I'll post better when I get back from class tonight, but I have a problem. The passanger side of my rear window, the defroster fell off. The little black plastic piece that clips to the window fell off. Any ideas how I can fix this, and / or what effect its gonna have?

Flight Of The Phoenix
Asylum Custom Interiors - Axcelerated Motorsports - TBI Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:15 AM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE

but no seriously, they make a repair kit for that i believe....give me a sec and i shall find it

EDIT: this might work.....http://www.google.com/product_url?q=...hl=en&sa=title

Last edited by XFE; 12-28-2009 at 04:22 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 05:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Yea, you have to have a special stuff for that thing. The defroster lines are more of a electric conductive paint.
I worked at a glass place back in the day that made the rear windows for the Hummer 1, and we had hell doing the windows. After laying the defroster lines(paint), we had to do a continuity check(superivised by the shift supervisor), if it didnt check out, the window went thru again and if it failed the second time, window was trashed. We basically had a 30-40 percent fail(trashed) glass.
With the new technology it may be easier to fix the window defroster.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerVeteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Foximus Send a message via MSN to Foximus Send a message via Yahoo to Foximus Send a message via Skype™ to Foximus
Yea, the little black box with teh 2 connectors just kinda fell out of the window.... the other side still works.

Flight Of The Phoenix
Asylum Custom Interiors - Axcelerated Motorsports - TBI Fabrication
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 05:01 AM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foximus View Post
Yea, the little black box with teh 2 connectors just kinda fell out of the window.... the other side still works.
Sorry to sound like a jackass here, but I'm curious, and would love just HALF of my window to Defrost...

How the hell does half your window still work, I've been just dealing with my defrost tab on the passenger side just dangling there for the past 30k miles... Can't find the right stuff to fix it, and I have no defrost once so ever! Did the plastic cap fall off or did the whole tab and connector fall off?

There is only one wire running to each side, a + and a - side... If one goes, the whole thing doesn't work...

So please tell me how does half your window work?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 05:07 AM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by G5Steven View Post
Sorry to sound like a jackass here, but I'm curious, and would love just HALF of my window to Defrost...

How the hell does half your window still work, I've been just dealing with my defrost tab on the passenger side just dangling there for the past 30k miles... Can't find the right stuff to fix it, and I have no defrost once so ever! Did the plastic cap fall off or did the whole tab and connector fall off?

There is only one wire running to each side, a + and a - side... If one goes, the whole thing doesn't work...

So please tell me how does half your window work?
he sent me a pic of this the other day....it's kinda hard to make it out on my phone so i can't tell what is exactly wrong....

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltxfe09 View Post
he sent me a pic of this the other day....it's kinda hard to make it out on my phone so i can't tell what is exactly wrong....
okay, well, I went to four different stores this morning looking for something, and all I could find that may work is a soldering gun that heats up three times hotter than just the regular soldering iron. I might buy it and see if it works, I think the only thing I can do is just put the gun on the tab and hold it to the window till the stuff melts then shut it off and let it cool to the window... but man I'd like for my defrost to work again...

Cheap G(overnment)M(otors) products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode