Weird Smell - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sterling heights
Posts: 17
Send a message via Yahoo to 08-Cobalt-Sport
Weird Smell

I have a 2008 cobalt sport 2.4l, a couple days ago after driving home from work i get out of my car and go to the trunk of my car the exhaust smelt like rotten eggs. any suggestions on why it smells. i put in 93 gas and i have a SLP exhaust installed on my car.
08-Cobalt-Sport is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Cobalt Specialist


 
Nosfuratu9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,442
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-Cobalt-Sport View Post
I have a 2008 cobalt sport 2.4l, a couple days ago after driving home from work i get out of my car and go to the trunk of my car the exhaust smelt like rotten eggs. any suggestions on why it smells. i put in 93 gas and i have a SLP exhaust installed on my car.
sounds like a clogged cat. if you run 93 too much supposedly the engine doesnt burn all the fuel and it can clog up you catalytic converter and thus the rotten egg smell. this is only what i've heard but idk how certain it is. run some regular for a few tanks and see if that helps any
Nosfuratu9 is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Cobalt Specialist
 
stickx911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 1,336
Garage
any chance you have mold? water get in the trunk? Aside from the obvious, are you sure you didn't leave groceries back there...lol, mold is the only thing I could think of.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfuratu9 View Post
sounds like a clogged cat. if you run 93 too much supposedly the engine doesnt burn all the fuel and it can clog up you catalytic converter and thus the rotten egg smell. this is only what i've heard but idk how certain it is. run some regular for a few tanks and see if that helps any
I would never have thought! Interesting.

stickx911 is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Forum Regular
 
tuner923's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 151
I have known batteries smell like rotten eggs when they go bad

tuner923 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:44 PM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
WillBeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 745
Garage
There is a vent tube on the battery, check that and make sure its still secured and not clogged.


WillBeck is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Cobalt Master
 
NitroheadZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bk, NY- USA
Posts: 1,648
Garage
Quote:
sounds like a clogged cat. if you run 93 too much supposedly the engine doesnt burn all the fuel and it can clog up you catalytic converter and thus the rotten egg smell. this is only what i've heard but idk how certain it is. run some regular for a few tanks and see if that helps any
Unless I'm really off, don't Le5's need to run 93? I remember CC08 err I mean the retard once telling me they are high compression and need premium. I would also speculate that its a clogged cat though.

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
NitroheadZ28 is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Clovis, NM.
Posts: 360
Garage
LE5 recommended is 91.

07 G5 GT

Cherry's Tree


Randy
Now serving Boost
272whp 276wtq @10psi
Cherry GT is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Will mpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brownsville, TN U.S.A.
Posts: 3,829
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroheadZ28 View Post
Unless I'm really off, don't Le5's need to run 93? I remember CC08 err I mean the retard once telling me they are high compression and need premium. I would also speculate that its a clogged cat though.
lmfao.

Will mpg is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Forum Regular
 
ItzBlueBish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 208
bad cat like nosfur said
ItzBlueBish is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sterling heights
Posts: 17
Send a message via Yahoo to 08-Cobalt-Sport
Ok so can I just clean it or do I need to buy a new one
08-Cobalt-Sport is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome