Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suspension Problem: Control Arm Bushings?

27K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  krazedkitty 
#1 ·
Hello! I’m new to this site, but I’m hoping someone can help me out. I’ve searched for a bit but haven’t found the answer to my exact question. So, here it goes… I took my Cobalt in because of a clunking noise (from the front end) it had going over bumps. Anyway, when the car was up on the lift, the mechanic showed me that he could easily move the stabilizer bar up and down. He told me that I needed to replace the control arm bushings. I just bought this car (used with 80K) so I’m not too familiar with its suspension…I know control arm bushings are a common cause for the clunking noise on Cobalts, but would bad control arm bushings really cause the stabilizer to be loose? Or, is it more likely that the bushings on the bar itself or the end links are bad?

Any input is appreciated, or even a good diagram of the front suspension? The one in my repair manual was not much help. Thanks!

#2 ·
welcome to the forum!

to answer your question, yes control arm bushings are a known problem. The best fix would be the prothane control arm bushings from Never Enough Auto

As for your stabilizer bar, it could be likely that the end link bushings are shot. Check out powergrind endlinks....little pricey but well worth it. Or you could just go with OEM end links

hope this helps. :)

#3 ·
If you don't have the dough for the Powergrid links, try the Moog ones from Napa.

Also, i do not like the use of prothane as a CAB, simply because it does not work well with the high amount of cross-axis motion it's subjected to. Works great as a motor bushing, but a control arm has far to great a range of motion. The prothane dries up and becomes brittle, then fails entirely, causing potentially dangerous situations.

OEM is best, or upgrade to FE5 FLCA's and OTTP Bushings.

#5 ·
You can see if your control arm bushing is bad, it is about a 2 1/2 inch bushing and you should see the rubber has slipped out of its place. I replaced one two years ago, did not eliminate all my noise, two days ago I found other side contrrol arm bushing bad, 35.00 at dealer, also felt end link and making noise. Moog 38.00 at Auto zone I think, replaced control bushing and link on one side and it quieted but did not end noise, went and bought link for other side and wallla no more noise after about two years!!!!!. Hope this helps you. Pretty easy job unless control armm bolt freezes to bushing then becomes a little more of a challenge. Silence is Golden

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.