A Lil Help - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exclamation A Lil Help

Hey im new to this forums First to all HI to you all

frist i remove the thermostat from my 08 cobalt and now the temperature is not showing up on the board any ideas what the problem may be??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:48 AM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Welcome to the forum!

Maybe perhaps, you unpluged the coolant temp sensor buy accident. Did you replace the thermostat?

Last edited by XFE; 03-04-2010 at 01:55 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltxfe09 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Maybe perhaps, you unpluged the coolant temp sensor buy accident. Did you replace the thermostat?
no i didnt here in south texas they told me is not nessesary since the climate is hot is better for my cobalt to run cooler

Last edited by XFE; 03-04-2010 at 01:55 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 AM
Forum Regular

Seems to me like the thermostat has the temp sensor in it, but I could be wrong lmao. Makes sense to an extent, but idk good news, my cobalt is sitting outside my house with a new trans, and steering colum, new steering rack, control arms, clutch, and BEAT HYDRAULICS. Yea that's right brought it home last night after 8 days in service, went to go to work, haha, seems like i am SOL.

Sorry not trying to thread jack let me see, okay google and I talked about it and we have concluded that your sensor has gone bad, or you mistakenly unplugged her. You can view the temp sensor here, so you know what to look for next time your under the HOOD. Temp Sensor and here are some instructions, possibly generic to replace it, directions

Hope that helps allot, as that is about the only joy I get outta my cobalt, is finding this site and attempting to aid you guys!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
On newer cars you need the thermostat... I doubt that "they" were a Chevrolet service department, and Doubt Chevrolet's Service techs told you it was ok to take out the thermostat cause of how intricate the wiring is and how intricate the computer is. If the car isn't running in the temp range preset in the computer, then you WILL find yourself with poor gas mileage and possibly other things happening.

Advice, Check to see if you unplugged the temp sensor first, then Put Back that Thermostat.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Yeah...definitely put the thermostat back in there. It'll do it's job regardless of outside temperature.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni

Garage
Agreed. You should put it back in. It used to be good advise, and still is on older cars, but our newer cars need their thermostats left in.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Forum God

Welcome, and yea i would put it back in.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Forum Regular

I am not sure but can't you get different ones that pop at different temps? I know the material that makes it pop, bi-metal, wax, or gas, but I think they all pop at different temps. Lol I love reading here is some info I'd like to share.

his type of thermostat operates mechanically. It makes use of a wax pellet inside a sealed chamber. The wax is solid at low temperatures but as the engine heats up the wax melts and expands. The sealed chamber has an expansion provision that operates a rod which opens a valve when the operating temperature is exceeded. The operating temperature is fixed, but is determined by the specific composition of the wax, so thermostats of this type are available to maintain different temperatures, typically in the range of 70 to 90C (160 to 200F). Modern engines run hot, that is, over 80C (180F), in order to run more efficiently and to reduce the emission of pollutants. Most thermostats have a small bypass hole to vent any gas that might get into the system, e.g., air introduced during coolant replacement, which also allows a small flow of coolant past the thermostat when it is closed. This bypass flow ensures that the thermostat experiences the temperature change in the coolant as the engine heats up; without it a stagnant region of coolant around the thermostat could shield it from temperature changes in the coolant adjacent to the combustion chambers and cylinder bores.

I think the cobalt is designed to run at 190 degrees, at least that's where mine runs. But yea GO PUT IT BACK IN DUDE!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to dkscbalt
Ok man here's what's goin on with your car. If you take the t stat out or put a low temp one in you will throw a code. Not sure what the code is but the reason your temp is reading --- is because your motor isn't reaching normal operating temp which is 176 degrees. If you're goin to leave the t stat out or put a low temp one in you will need a tune so your car won't throw codes.

Built not bought fully bolted 2.2 and Trifecta Tuned

Authorized Trifecta Reseller In Central Wisconsin

Check out my new showoff thread!!!
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...entral-wi.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode