Weird Sound After Driving? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Forum God


 
BboyTaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CANADA! Montreal (party city), Quebec
Posts: 3,229
Weird Sound After Driving?

For a while now, i've noticed that my cobalt makes a weird repetitive 'ting' sound after I turn it off (I only notice it after the car is off and I get out) kind of like a radiator heating up in a house but a bit louder. It's kinda annoying and sounds cheap. I noticed yesterday though that it seemed to be coming from the exhaust (that box part before the end of the muffler). I think it has been there since I got the car but not sure.
anyone else have this weird sound? My 'balt is an 09 Ls in case you all forgot :D
BboyTaktix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Forum God


 
BlackARCA06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,724
Yea its in your muffler, completely normal. Mine does it all the time.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
BlackARCA06 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Forum God


 
BboyTaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CANADA! Montreal (party city), Quebec
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackARCA06 View Post
Yea its in your muffler, completely normal. Mine does it all the time.
Figured. Sounds so cheap though! Guess I'll have to change to a catback soon to get rid of that sound and add a little spunk :p
BboyTaktix is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Forum God


 
BlackARCA06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
Figured. Sounds so cheap though! Guess I'll have to change to a catback soon to get rid of that sound and add a little spunk :p
Yea I have a flowmaster and i still does it. but mine only does it after a long drive.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
BlackARCA06 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum God


 
BboyTaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CANADA! Montreal (party city), Quebec
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackARCA06 View Post
Yea I have a flowmaster and i still does it. but mine only does it after a long drive.
But the catback removes the little box Which is making that sound no?
BboyTaktix is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Forum God


 
BlackARCA06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
But the catback removes the little box Which is making that sound no?
As in box do you mean the muffler or the cat? cause your cat will still be there cause its in your DP, but thats not what is making the noise.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
BlackARCA06 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum God


 
BboyTaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CANADA! Montreal (party city), Quebec
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackARCA06 View Post
As in box do you mean the muffler or the cat? cause your cat will still be there cause its in your DP, but thats not what is making the noise.
Well imean the muffler. It seemed last night that that is what was making the noise. Catback goes all the way to the cat. If the cat is the thing making the noise however then I'm screwed either way :(
BboyTaktix is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Forum God


 
BlackARCA06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
Well imean the muffler. It seemed last night that that is what was making the noise. Catback goes all the way to the cat. If the cat is the thing making the noise however then I'm screwed either way :(
Yea the cats not making the noise its the muffler mine does it and a catback muffler will probably do it to.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
BlackARCA06 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Forum Regular
 
cr8054's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 56
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
Figured. Sounds so cheap though! Guess I'll have to change to a catback soon to get rid of that sound and add a little spunk :p
I dont think cost of replacing the exhaust system from the cat back is worth it just to get rid of a little noise. Keep in mind that Chevy uses stainless steel in their stock exhaust systems that makes the exhaust system last a LONG time. My mother's 2000 Malibu has not needed a new exhaust system, nor did my 06 Cobalt LS Coupe. Get that exhaust system changed with anything but OEM parts and you will probably be replacing the exhaust system from the cat back every other year. Do you really want to do that?
cr8054 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum God


 
BboyTaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CANADA! Montreal (party city), Quebec
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8054 View Post
I dont think cost of replacing the exhaust system from the cat back is worth it just to get rid of a little noise. Keep in mind that Chevy uses stainless steel in their stock exhaust systems that makes the exhaust system last a LONG time. My mother's 2000 Malibu has not needed a new exhaust system, nor did my 06 Cobalt LS Coupe. Get that exhaust system changed with anything but OEM parts and you will probably be replacing the exhaust system from the cat back every other year. Do you really want to do that?
Actually yes. I need a larger exhaust when ivey my turbo done. The low sexy sound is a bonus. The performnce fain helps. And if ou spend a little money and don't heap out, you can get a full exhaust made of good quality materil that will last a long time. Had an axleback from his that lasted over 5 tees and still shined up real nice. But I'm goin for a Full exhaust this time. I'm quite familiar with materials seeing that I'm finishing up my engineerig degree and I am reuired to know this stuff like the back of my hand. Thanx for all the help though guys.
BboyTaktix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome