Weird Sound After Driving? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

Weird Sound After Driving?

For a while now, i've noticed that my cobalt makes a weird repetitive 'ting' sound after I turn it off (I only notice it after the car is off and I get out) kind of like a radiator heating up in a house but a bit louder. It's kinda annoying and sounds cheap. I noticed yesterday though that it seemed to be coming from the exhaust (that box part before the end of the muffler). I think it has been there since I got the car but not sure.
anyone else have this weird sound? My 'balt is an 09 Ls in case you all forgot :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Forum God

Yea its in your muffler, completely normal. Mine does it all the time.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackARCA06 View Post
Yea its in your muffler, completely normal. Mine does it all the time.
Figured. Sounds so cheap though! Guess I'll have to change to a catback soon to get rid of that sound and add a little spunk :p

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
Figured. Sounds so cheap though! Guess I'll have to change to a catback soon to get rid of that sound and add a little spunk :p
Yea I have a flowmaster and i still does it. but mine only does it after a long drive.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Yea I have a flowmaster and i still does it. but mine only does it after a long drive.
But the catback removes the little box Which is making that sound no?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Forum God

Quote:
But the catback removes the little box Which is making that sound no?
As in box do you mean the muffler or the cat? cause your cat will still be there cause its in your DP, but thats not what is making the noise.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
As in box do you mean the muffler or the cat? cause your cat will still be there cause its in your DP, but thats not what is making the noise.
Well imean the muffler. It seemed last night that that is what was making the noise. Catback goes all the way to the cat. If the cat is the thing making the noise however then I'm screwed either way :(
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Forum God

Quote:
Well imean the muffler. It seemed last night that that is what was making the noise. Catback goes all the way to the cat. If the cat is the thing making the noise however then I'm screwed either way :(
Yea the cats not making the noise its the muffler mine does it and a catback muffler will probably do it to.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
I dont think cost of replacing the exhaust system from the cat back is worth it just to get rid of a little noise. Keep in mind that Chevy uses stainless steel in their stock exhaust systems that makes the exhaust system last a LONG time. My mother's 2000 Malibu has not needed a new exhaust system, nor did my 06 Cobalt LS Coupe. Get that exhaust system changed with anything but OEM parts and you will probably be replacing the exhaust system from the cat back every other year. Do you really want to do that?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8054 View Post
I dont think cost of replacing the exhaust system from the cat back is worth it just to get rid of a little noise. Keep in mind that Chevy uses stainless steel in their stock exhaust systems that makes the exhaust system last a LONG time. My mother's 2000 Malibu has not needed a new exhaust system, nor did my 06 Cobalt LS Coupe. Get that exhaust system changed with anything but OEM parts and you will probably be replacing the exhaust system from the cat back every other year. Do you really want to do that?
Actually yes. I need a larger exhaust when ivey my turbo done. The low sexy sound is a bonus. The performnce fain helps. And if ou spend a little money and don't heap out, you can get a full exhaust made of good quality materil that will last a long time. Had an axleback from his that lasted over 5 tees and still shined up real nice. But I'm goin for a Full exhaust this time. I'm quite familiar with materials seeing that I'm finishing up my engineerig degree and I am reuired to know this stuff like the back of my hand. Thanx for all the help though guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode