Recommened Maintenance Servicing Schedule - Page 3 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Newcomer

Yes but there are times such as at cold times during winter or when it snows or rains when you do not want to get out of the car and check those items on your car lol. oh this is besides the point but i didnt know if you knew that you can reset the oil life monitor by tapping the gas pedal 3 with the key in the on position but the car off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
104,xxx on mine and just changed the plugs, looked real good.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Forum Regular

I changed my plugs at about 110k. I have over 150k now and the car still runs good.

'06 LS, Black 2-Door, 5-Speed (short throw shifter installed 9/06)

http://arsave.com/
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2597475

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Newcomer

Garage
Good Post! AutoZone never seems to have the Haynes manual in stock and I want to get one for the cobalt because I have owned one for every car I have ever had!

It is what it is.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
I'd go by what the computer/manual says when to change the oil, because it says in the owners manual that it calculates mileage, temperature and RPMs, plus it will save you cash! And if your worried because the car can't tell if its conventional or synthetic. The non FI models don't require synthetic so I'd assume the computer is already set up for it.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
I'd go by what the computer/manual says when to change the oil, because it says in the owners manual that it calculates mileage, temperature and RPMs, plus it will save you cash! And if your worried because the car can't tell if its conventional or synthetic. The non FI models don't require synthetic so I'd assume the computer is already set up for it.
Still will not hurt to change oil every 3K. One of my friends used to use the oil life meter, and clocked over 12,000 miles on before it was even to 40%. Say what you want about the oil life meter but I will never follow it. I've never had any issue changing the oil and filter at 3K or 6 months and will continue to change my oil at those intervals.

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Veteran

All I know is that I'm sorry I changed my struts. The front end is starting to come apart piece by piece. First sway bar end links, now sway bar bushings.
GM screwed me by telling me to go to the dealer to get it checked (cost me $80-my local shop doesn't charge for inspections) and then they said the sway bar bushings were bad. I expected GM to help out with the cost but they said too bad its out of warranty. GN has known for years that Cobalts have faulty bushings, front end suspension components and steering issues.
There are a lot of choices out there, apparently GM doesn't give a damn
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Expert

you can find sway bar bushing on gmpartsdirect.com or rockauto.com both will have them

post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r View Post
you can find sway bar bushing on gmpartsdirect.com or rockauto.com both will have them
The dealer already changed them. Did not fix the clunking sound
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Expert

there could be multiple reasons, check ball joints, tie rod ends, inner tie rod. Suspension and steering parts are usually the first things to go on cars. They wear out even faster if you've lowered the car. Also when one thing goes, it does lead to a chain reaction.

I've had a few thing replaced under warranty, and a few out of pocket. Both front struts and rear shocks replaced due to leaking (before lowered). Ball joints on both sides (before lowered). Tie rod ends (before lowered). Inner tie rods (after lowered). It happens. Pretty soon I'll probably bechanging more suspension parts. If you replace them with better parts, once they are replaced it will be awhile before it wears out again. I've repalced all my steering ans suspension parts so far with moog parts. For a lot of the moog parts the are grease able, and as long as you grease them every once in a while they will last a long time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode