Recommened Maintenance Servicing Schedule - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Recommened Maintenance Servicing Schedule

This is the Maintenance Schedule from the Haynes Repair Manual

Every 250 Miles or Weekly Which Ever Comes First
Check the engine oil level
Check the engine coolant level
Check the brake and clutch fluid level
Check the powersteering fluid level
Check the tires and tire pressures

Every 3000 Miles or 3 Months Which Ever Comes First
All The Items Above Plus:
Change the oil and filter

Every 6000 Miles or 6 Months Which Ever Comes First
All The Items Above Plus:
Inspect (and replace, if nessessary) the windshield wiper blades
Check and service the battery
Check the cooling system
Rotate the tires
check the seat belts
Inspect the brake system

Every 15,000 Miles or 12 Months Which Ever Comes First
All Items Above Plus:
Replace interior ventilation filter
Check all underhood hoses
Inspect the suspension, steering components, and drive axle boots
Check the exhaust system
Check the fuel system
check the engine drive belts

Every 30,000 or 24 Months Which Ever Comes First
All Items Above Plus:
Check (and replace, if nessessary) the air filter*
Service the cooling system (drain, flush, and refil)
Change the brake fluid

Every 100,000 Miles
Replace the automatic transaxle fluid**
Replace the manual tranaxle lubricant
Replace the fuel filter
Replace the spark plugs

* This is an affected by "severe" operating conditions as described below. If your vehicle is operated under "severe" conditions, perform all maintenance indicated with an asterick(*) at 3000 mile/3 month intervals. Sever conditions are indicated if you mainly operate your vehicle under one or more of the following conditions:
Operating in dusty ares
Towing a trailor
Idling for extended periods
** If operated under one or more of the following conditions, change the manual or automatic transaxle fluid lubricant every 50,000 miles:
In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90-degrees F (32-degrees C) or higher
In hilly or mountainous terrain
Frequent towing og a trailor

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:22 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Sticky..Stuck

Thanks for posting this.

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Sweet my first ever sticky...

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 PM

RE: Recommened Maintenance Servicing Schedule

I wouldn't go by Haynes. It's a decent repair manual but you're better off with the one from the dealer. Don't service the cooling system @ 30k as Haynes says. GM has been using Dexcool for quite some time now and that is the only coolant you should run in your system. It's first change isn't scheduled until 100k.

Same with engine oil. Every 3k is ridiculous. My SS requires Mobile 1 but always go by the reset from your last change. Your computer is sophisticated and actually takes your driving conditions into it's calculations. Call your dealer if you doubt me. They will tell you to go by your computer. Brake fluid isn't until 100k not 30k as Haynes states and also requires flushing the clutch system on a manual trans since the break fluid is also fed to the clutch master cylinder. There is no need to spend more money changing fluids when it's not necessary.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RallyYellowSS View Post
I wouldn't go by Haynes. It's a decent repair manual but you're better off with the one from the dealer. Don't service the cooling system @ 30k as Haynes says. GM has been using Dexcool for quite some time now and that is the only coolant you should run in your system. It's first change isn't scheduled until 100k.

Same with engine oil. Every 3k is ridiculous. My SS requires Mobile 1 but always go by the reset from your last change. Your computer is sophisticated and actually takes your driving conditions into it's calculations. Call your dealer if you doubt me. They will tell you to go by your computer. Brake fluid isn't until 100k not 30k as Haynes states and also requires flushing the clutch system on a manual trans since the break fluid is also fed to the clutch master cylinder. There is no need to spend more money changing fluids when it's not necessary.
I still say changing the fluids will not hurt your car at all. Like they say better to be safe then sorry. Also about the oil life indcator, I say that thing is worthless. Before I figured out how to reset it I had changed my oil 3 times, I was at roughly 9100 miles and it the oil life indacator said i still had 23% oil life.

I do understand that doing this routine maintenance all the time will cost quite a bit, and to that I say if you don't have money to do it at that exact moment in time, wait till you do have the money to do it.

Also I know the brakes and clutch fluid are the same. If you were trying to refer to the manual tranaxle fluid change at 100,000 miles, this is not the same as changing brake fluid. Manual transaxle fluid is different then brake fluid, it is more like gear oil. Also this can only be purchased at a GM Parts Dealer.

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Newcomer

I wouldn't go by the comuputer. It doesn't know if you are using regular oil, blended, or full syn. I'm pretty sure the computer cant tell the viscosity, contaminants or particulates in the oil. Go by the odometer. It definitely knows how far you have driven.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:12 PM

GM...

---------

---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r View Post
Also I know the brakes and clutch fluid are the same. If you were trying to refer to the manual tranaxle fluid change at 100,000 miles, this is not the same as changing brake fluid. Manual transaxle fluid is different then brake fluid, it is more like gear oil. Also this can only be purchased at a GM Parts Dealer.
Like I said in my initial statement...

Brake fluid isn't until 100k not 30k as Haynes states and also requires flushing the clutch system on a manual trans since the break fluid is also fed to the clutch master cylinder.

I'm not sure where you got confused with tranny fluid but clearly I was referring to the hydraulic systems.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Expert

dam, may car is soo far ahead on this stuff...

mods... tinted taillights, 1000 watt alpine mono amp, 2 10 inch alpine type "r" subs, basspro slot ported box, xm radio, alpine 6x9 rear speekers, alpine 6.5 front speekers (both type "s",09SS front bumper and lip,black factory headlights, 12k foglights, 10k headlights, slp catback,fe5 suspension with sportlines,black carpet, painted plastics (black) huge custom pink monster sticker... and ofcourse.... BLACKED OUT!
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Quote:
GM...

---------

---------

sorry this took so long to reply to but I've been away. So you're telling me as long as my oil life indicator does not change oil soon, I'd be fine. That's complete crap. The I was running coventional oil in my car for the first 9100 miles, and never reset the oil life indicator, and it was still telling me I had 23% oil life left. On conventional oil there is no way ever that you should past 4000 miles, at the most.

I'm sorry but I've always heard to change your oil every 3k or 6 months. Which ever comes first. I'm glad you run your oil longer, and put more stress on your car by not changing your oil more often.

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Quote:

Oil and other associated fluids are cheap, major components are not. Other than the antifreeze, which I personally change about every 50K, the old ruls will not hurt anything and if people fell safer doing it old school, let them, I am one of those people who do not trust the computer, and will keep changing the fluids per old school recomendations, not by electronics that can hiccup.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode