Multiple Problems :/ - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jsingskid57
Multiple Problems :/

1. After i put on my new rims, a little while after, I hear a clanking noise everytime i go over uneven surfaces like a pothole up a driveway, etc. It doesnt sound to serious just something loose or something. Anyone know what this could be??

2. When I got in my car this morning, turned the car on, only my back speakers were working. I have read online, in tons of forms that many cobalts had the same probelm: The front speakers did not work along with the turn signal sounds + and the back speakers were unaffected. I dont get it.

3. Also When I got in my car this morning I turned off the radio to play around with to see if I could figure out the problem, I also noticed my car is idoling rough. It has 23,000 miles on it! I havent had a problem now i have all these problems at once :(

FML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Newcomer

No clue mang, but that clunking you mention...I got the same thing. I had something similar last winter when I hit a ****ing crater of a pothole. Turns out it was the tie rods that were screwed up.

And now its clunking again. Its not as loud as when my tie rods were shot, but its noticeable. So, not sure what that is.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to dkscbalt
Its your control arm bushings. Cobalts are known for this

Built not bought fully bolted 2.2 and Trifecta Tuned

Authorized Trifecta Reseller In Central Wisconsin

Check out my new showoff thread!!!
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...entral-wi.html

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialFate View Post
No clue mang, but that clunking you mention...I got the same thing. I had something similar last winter when I hit a ****ing crater of a pothole. Turns out it was the tie rods that were screwed up.

And now its clunking again. Its not as loud as when my tie rods were shot, but its noticeable. So, not sure what that is.
ugh i know its the worst thanks

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkscbalt View Post
Its your control arm bushings. Cobalts are known for this
thanks im getting it checked out next week
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Contributor

Send a message via MSN to arman14
does the car shake when you hit the brakes?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Forum God

Garage
is the clunking coming from the rear? if so then open up ur rear drum and check for loose/broken metal...

SOLD! 2.2 TURBOCHARGED. GT28 TURBO, 60# INJECTORS, WISECO PISTONS, EAGLE CONNECTING RODS, ZZP 3" DOWNPIPE, PACESETTER EXHAUST, K&N INTAKE, CUSTOM COLDSIDE PIPING, DEJON HOTSIDE PIPING, 2.4 INTAKE MANIFOLD,2.4 THROTTLE BODY, TRIFECTA TUNED.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
The speakers problem is the Stock Door and Deck speakers are Crap, but because the door speakers are attached to an object that gets moved and slammed a lot harder than the rear deck, the magnets get week and the voice coils go. Only solution is to Replace with Quality Speakers! I put in a set of Pioneer Four Ways front and rear, MUCH BETTER sound over stock, and no speaker fade/failure.

As for the clunking... did you check to see if your lugs are tight? If so, maybe tie rods...

Idle... Try pulling the battery cables off for a night, reconnect in the morning, it will reset the ECU/PCM and it will basically have the Stock parameters in it. After it is running and driven, these PCM's will learn and subtly shift the program parameters for the style of driving. Try that, or check your battery, could have a bad battery and voltage is dropping cause of alternator strain
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arman14 View Post
does the car shake when you hit the brakes?
the steering wheel shakes when i hit the brakes, not the whole car

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbalt View Post
is the clunking coming from the rear? if so then open up ur rear drum and check for loose/broken metal...
not really sure exactly where the clunking noise is coming from... but it sounds like from the front more than the back but its hard to tell

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5Steven View Post
The speakers problem is the Stock Door and Deck speakers are Crap, but because the door speakers are attached to an object that gets moved and slammed a lot harder than the rear deck, the magnets get week and the voice coils go. Only solution is to Replace with Quality Speakers! I put in a set of Pioneer Four Ways front and rear, MUCH BETTER sound over stock, and no speaker fade/failure.

As for the clunking... did you check to see if your lugs are tight? If so, maybe tie rods...

Idle... Try pulling the battery cables off for a night, reconnect in the morning, it will reset the ECU/PCM and it will basically have the Stock parameters in it. After it is running and driven, these PCM's will learn and subtly shift the program parameters for the style of driving. Try that, or check your battery, could have a bad battery and voltage is dropping cause of alternator strain
speakers: yeah i deff figured that it was from them being stock crap speakers lol i should deff get new ones.
Clunking: yes the lugs are tight. And it doesnt sound like its coming from the wheels.

Idle: thanks ill have to try it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
my friend got rims for his civic and we put them on at my place; all lugs were tight we left to go for a ride with them on. and we heard some clanking noises just driving. and i looked the rotor was able to wiggle. and i relized the rims offset caused it not to be able to hold the rotor tight against the hub
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltalex View Post
my friend got rims for his civic and we put them on at my place; all lugs were tight we left to go for a ride with them on. and we heard some clanking noises just driving. and i looked the rotor was able to wiggle. and i relized the rims offset caused it not to be able to hold the rotor tight against the hub
thanks alot!!!!!!!! now i have something to specifically look at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode