Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts

-   Problems and Service (https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/)
-   -   Tighten Parking Break? (https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/18445-tighten-parking-break.html)

stickx911 04-03-2010 04:35 PM

Tighten Parking Break?

I searched, but didn't find anything. Is there a way to re-tighten my parking break? Would it be covered under bumper-to-bumper?

I pull it up every time I park (my driveway is a steep hill) and lately the car still sags (rolls a bit) after pulling it. If that makes sense...Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

at least, what is the process really called so I can google for a how-to?

stickx911 04-03-2010 07:13 PM

bumpz

Psychosolver 04-03-2010 07:28 PM

Yes there is a way to re-tighten it. Pull up on the parking break and remove the piece of trim that is around it, its the one with the change holder. On the underside of the parking break handle there is a tab that you need to push in and at the same time it is pushed in you pull the handle of the parking break off. There is a nut next to the base of the parking break that you tighten and that will tighten your parking break.

Nighthawk243 04-04-2010 02:34 AM

There is a screw on the handle that you have to tighten... but you must pull the rear wheel so you can check to make sure it isn't dragging.

stickx911 04-04-2010 03:41 AM

cool. thanks guys!

Cherry GT 04-04-2010 04:45 AM

Just jack up the rear of the car spin the wheel by hand
and adjust the cable on the e-brake lever and spin again.
YOU DO NOT WANT THE BRAKE DRAGGING !