Leaky Cobalt :( - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Leaky Cobalt :(

ok guys i have had my 2dr cobalt since 2008 and i live in south texas were it never ever rains...well once it does rain i open up my car door and notice that the carpet is Soaking wet both in the driver side and in the passenger side...basically the rain from the outside has flowed inside the car..pics later today....the one thing i know for sure about this leak is that the water is enter from 2 places one is the bottom seat bolt and the other is the bottom rocker were the quarter panel trim meets the rocker trim(make sense? ill take pics of where im talking bout and upload tonight)....heres the kicker i have taken it to the dealership but i have finally run out of patience...they have done some normal thing and some not so normal thngs to try and fix it....the have placed the door seals..twice...they have taken off both passenger glasses and resealed them..(they said water leaked in through there i didn't think it was possible but if it did happen ok..)... and this last time took apart the interior (no problems as i have no mods unless changing stock speakers counts) and caulked a bunch of holes to prevent it from leaking...GUYS im on my last straw before i start storming in there taking name and cursing everyone out (not that it will help which leads me not to doing it haha) can anyone give me any advice as to what to do say or do i need to give it up i mean damn its rained here 3 times this year like 2 times the year before and in 08 when it was new it got the garage treatment cuz i was babying it lol but each time it leaks i take it in and i get it 'oh hey yeah its cool now.Then oh yeah i thought we got it guess not"....exact words i wanted to punch him....sorry for ranting/whining/sounds like a b!tch and for the long post

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

]
both sides are affected but heres the driver side imagine rain falling lol

rain usually goes over the seal and through the channel made by the rocker and quarter panel trim

rain either runs through the channel, throughout the bottom bolt or both...i've seen all three happen but i can't figure out why

caulk? i saw it and didn't know what to think

more caulk...kinda cheating/cheesy IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran

i feel your pain...mine leaked no where near as bad but i had my sunroof and back windshield replaced under warranty for this issue...seems to not be that uncommon on these cars
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Contributor

Why not take it to the dealer and have them fix it? Or are you going to?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

thats the thing this is after +3 trips of getting them to fix it! i've taken it and they can't fix it....:( sigh
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You might need to be more demanding. Instead of trying to fix it they need to replace all the molding.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

@will mpg they have :/...along with caulking some holes and resealing the quarter glass...sigh...good news it rained today can caught the leak on video....took it to the dealer (i lost count of which time this is but we are past 4) spoke to several tech's showed them the vid got their opinion handed over the car to the service writer and showed him the video and told him i want my car fixed! I asked to speak to the the tech that's been working on the car and showed him the vid, but i was polite to him...(didn't want to yell a a guy whose doing the grunt of the work) caught a ride home and left a message for the GM service manager..video soon

Last edited by chi_towner1; 07-08-2010 at 08:10 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
hope its taken care of, that sucks, I remember when my 88 cav would leak. One time i had a pool behind my driver seat. Mine was due to an aftermarket sunroof though.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

service manager called back asked to see video so im driving there again...glad its only 5 minutes away...i hope the found it this time. @beamer did you get it fixed? ouch seems like the same thing i too have the "unwanted pool in car" badge lol

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbaxRSMp03w
leaky cobalt sorry bout the res it's my first upload and i have no idea what im doing
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
Never did get it fixed, it only happened when it really down poured. I sold the car back in 04 or so(regrettably) so who knows what happened to that car ;-(

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Yay go me
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

the video is private

My sig thanks to Gcobalt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version