Steering Was Worse After Recall, Out $260 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Steering Was Worse After Recall, Out $260

Freaking intermediate shaft had to be replaced-again, this time not under warranty. So it cost me $260. New dealer said old dealer didn't lube it properly and they had to replace it. It helped the loose steering issue but GM had contacted me but basically told me it was too bad and to take it up with the old dealer. Yeh, right.
This is what I wrote to GM:

I spoke to someone this morning and got basically what I was expecting-nothing.
You install defective parts in your cars and I have to pay to get them replaced. That is why I will be switching to Ford as soon as the new Focus comes out. You knowingly and continuously placed faulty intermediate shafts, steering columns and control arm bushings in Cobalts and never rectified the situation.
I had the intermediate shaft replaced already while under warranty. You finally decided to recall the electric steering motor after years of failures, accidents and injuries and since this motor is stronger than the old one my steering felt awful after the recall. My new dealer found that the intermediate shaft wasn't properly lubed by City Chevrolet and so I am out $260. I assume the part was faulty also since they had to replace it, not just re-lube it but I was told by your rep I would have to take it up with City Chevrolet. As if a Dealer I no longer go to because of gross incompetence and a charge for a service they never performed is going to give me $260.
Basically, GM told me to go screw myself. Well, right back at ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

GM is getting my money back. At least they are listening, although it took a lot of prodding.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Initiate

Steve? Did you have problems with the shaft after the dealer replaced the PS motor?

When they replace the PS motor does this involve their having to mess with this shaft?

Thanks ...Frank

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ndbalt07 Send a message via Skype™ to ndbalt07
wow that sucks but at least you got your money back...

07' LS 5 spd, bullseye S256 @ 17 psi wut?!, E85!!!, wiseco 8.9:1 pistons, eagle rods, spec stage 3 clutch, TTR motor and tranny mounts, ARK sts, Magnaflow catback, tinted windows, B&G coilovers w/ adjustable camber plates, front bowtie painted black, and ETX ME-2 rims wrapped in 235/40/18 Nitto invos.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:35 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
Basically, GM told me to go screw myself. Well, right back at ya!
Hahaha awesome line. When I filed a complaint about my issues i used "you have killed my inner child." They emailed back politily telling me to go f myself.

Happy to hear they actually did something for you

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank n texas View Post
Steve? Did you have problems with the shaft after the dealer replaced the PS motor?

When they replace the PS motor does this involve their having to mess with this shaft?

Thanks ...Frank
My steering felt much looser than prior and it was wandering all over the place. The PS Motor is attached to the steering column I believe. After they replaced the shaft it did tighten up a lot but now its starting to feel loose again. I still think the entire steering column was damaged because my steering wheel shudders going over bumps. They said it wasn't damaged. My car also is taking bumps harder than before so who knows what they did.
I just brought my mother's Impala there for a steering line recall and on the ride back to her place the tranny shuddered and the next day the engine warning light came on for the first time ever. Very strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndbalt07 View Post
wow that sucks but at least you got your money back...
I will soon, but the steering column should have been replaced, IMO. I am going to take it to an independent mechanic to check it all out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogDyslexia View Post
Hahaha awesome line. When I filed a complaint about my issues i used "you have killed my inner child." They emailed back politily telling me to go f myself.

Happy to hear they actually did something for you
Thanks, I liked the line too! Came up in the middle of a rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode