Belt Squeak/Chirp on High and Hard Acceleration - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 09cobaltxfe
Belt Squeak/Chirp on High and Hard Acceleration

I know this is going to end up saying dont beat the car, whatever. When Im driving spirited or trying to outrun oncoming traffic on an onramp, etc, and winding out to 5500-6000 rpms and shifting very quickly and engaging and disengaging the clutch fast on these accelerations, I am getting a belt chirp/squeak during these occasions. Does this mean my belt is shot and slipping under the heavy engine load? Car only has 20k on it, and still under warranty, but a little worried to go to the dealer and explain how and when it happens, because I know it will get blamed on abuse, etc, but would it be covered on the bumper to bumper, or should I just go to autozone and get a gatorback belt?

2009 Cobalt LS XFE Coupe - Imperial Blue Metallic - Light Titanium Interior - 5 Speed Manual - Chrome Exhaust Tip - Spoiler - Shorty Antenna - Center Console - 6000k Bi Xenon HID's - Intake Silencer Delete - Tsudo Cat Back Exhaust - 5 Star Alloy Wheels - Yokohama AVIS TRZ Tires

Coming Soon: Injen SRI - Header/Downpipe - Tint - Audio - Eibach Sportlines - Black Interior - Power Window/Door Lock Conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:38 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

yeah it's slipping, but make sure it's the belt! check the belt for cracks on the ribs. if it's not cracked, it's a tensioner issue. i understand you wanna learn about your car but if it's under warranty you have nothing to worry about! don't get those gator belts i always use gates or delco belts the gators crack faster and it's harder to notice when they do. it will not void warranty if you are stock. if the car wasn't made to go to 5500-6000 rpm they would design it so you couldn't. there's no such thing as abuse on a belt unless you modify the mechanism with say an underdrive pulley.

Last edited by ff_drift_lol; 07-11-2010 at 07:40 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 09cobaltxfe
Alright sounds good, Ill have to make an appointment and see what they can do with it.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE Coupe - Imperial Blue Metallic - Light Titanium Interior - 5 Speed Manual - Chrome Exhaust Tip - Spoiler - Shorty Antenna - Center Console - 6000k Bi Xenon HID's - Intake Silencer Delete - Tsudo Cat Back Exhaust - 5 Star Alloy Wheels - Yokohama AVIS TRZ Tires

Coming Soon: Injen SRI - Header/Downpipe - Tint - Audio - Eibach Sportlines - Black Interior - Power Window/Door Lock Conversion

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

edited, sorry i always do this lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode