Mysterious Leak? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mysterious Leak?

so i was out with my boyfriend one day and we were just hanging out eating pizza at the park, and we were getting ready to leave, so i started my car (2008 cobalt lt) and my boyfriend was getting ready to get in, he stops and he's like "uhh.. we have a problem..", so i get out of my car and look and there's a leak of something coming from under my car. I quickly check to see if its the coolant (as i have had problems with leaking coolant before), engine temp wasn't raising skyhigh, so i figured it was transmission fluid (seeing as i've had a transmission fluid leak before), but with no dipstick on the transmission, its impossible to tell. I tried to see where the leak was coming from but i couldn't tell. I looked closely at the fluid, it looked reddish, but did not have a sweet smell to it.
Anyways, i decided that if tranny fluid was leaking the transmission would start acting funny, so i drive for a bit, and everything seemed fine, car was shifting no problem. So i kinda let it go ( i know i shouldn't have but i did). The next couple days after leaving my engine idle for a couple minutes, i would look under my car, no leak.
Well, a week later, i was on break at work and it was like 18 billion degrees outside, with horrible air circulation inside where i was working, so i went to my car and turned on the A/C to cool down. After my break, there was that leak under my car again. So, again ive been checking under my car after leaving it idle, there hasn't been a leak.
So.. im a little confused by this "mysterious leak" .. its only happening like once a week... and i cant find the source of it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:02 AM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Well if the "leak" is of a clear "watery" substance, that would be run off from your Air conditioning.

If it is your transmission, physically check the tranny/underneath of the engine for splashes of fluid. Sometimes you can find out where it's coming from like that.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

is it normal to have the run off from my air conditioning like that?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 04:42 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
is it normal to have the run off from my air conditioning like that?
Yes, it's condensation. Perfectly normal, every car does it.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

okay thank you. next time i spot this leak i will look closely to see if its a clear watery substance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode