Gauges Peg Out, Engine Sputters - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Question Gauges Peg Out, Engine Sputters

I have a 2005 Cobalt with 45000 miles (2.2). The car has an intermittent (electrical) problem and when it acts up the following happens....

1.All gauges peg out (go from low to max) - up and down on fuel gauge, speedo, tach. etc.

2. The engine runs rough and the "power steering" error appears on the dash (power steering has stopped working at this point).

3. The automatic transmission will slam into gear if you attempt to shift it.

This car has had the power steering recall performed on it but, this problem existed before the recall was performed. I have traced wires, checked connections, grounds etc. but see no obvious electrical problems.

Recommendations?? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
sounds like either the ECU or the body control unit, or both has problems. If in fact that you checked all the wiring.

You should really go get a diagnosed at a dealer.

Any CELs? If so go get the codes checked out.
With everything you're saying you should have several warnings.

MODS: GMPP "Performance" cat-back, GMPP intake, GMPP extrude honed header, GMPP ground effects kit, lip spoiler, gen 4 headlights, DC sport strut tower brace, splitter, vortex generators, motegi SP10, Iridium spark plugs, ractive aluminum pedals, white carbon shift knob, shorty antenna, 4300K HID low beams (screw electricals warranty)

by gCobalt05
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Ok, this one is out of left field, but check your intake. The throttling up and down and crazy gauges happened to the LT1 in my Z28 once and the problem was the intake had come disconnected from the plenum. If it's disconnected reconnect it and unhook your battery for 15 minutes.

Yeah, it's out of left field, and does not explain it all, but it's easy to check. Honestly though, I also think you are looking at a ECU.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode