Will Not Shut Off - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Will Not Shut Off

Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I just bought my '09 Cobalt last month and love it so far.

I had a problem yesterday. I was driving for a while, pulled in my driveway, put the car in park and went to turn the ignition key to "off" and it would not move out of the started position. In other words, there was no way to shut the car off normally. I called the dealer (just as they were closing) and they had me drive it in, park it and take the fuse out for the fuel pump, so it would stop running. They are supposed to look at it Monday, but I am wondering what I might expect as the culprit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Forum Regular

Broken ignition cylinder, have had mine replaced twice on my 09' first dealer took 3 days to fix it and did it wrong so 2 days later it broke again, second dealer had it fixed in 4 hours and haven't had a issue with it in the last few months.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
+1. I have had mine fixed too, but only one. Mine broke turned off and had to be towed.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Forum Regular

If I remember right, the same problem was happening to cobalts a few years ago and I believe there was a recall of sorts for that problem. I have an 06 and have not had problems but a co-worker also has an 06 and it happened to him.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ADIDASS Send a message via Yahoo to ADIDASS
Yeah seems to be a common problem around the forums. They have to replace the ignition cylinder as Mick said. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a recall on this as well, lol. It's happening to every model of Cobalt too, so don't feel you're alone.

Black 2009 SS/TC|20% Tint|Ark Shorty Antenna|Customized License Plate Cover|Customized Front Bowtie|Weathertech Vent Visors|3rd Generation Projectors w/ 6k HID's|IPCW LED Tails|3rd Brake Light Mod w/ Vinyl Overlay|Reflective Black SS Inlays|Nightshaded Side Markers|E-brake Mod|Redlinegoods Shifter/E-brake Boots|AVIC-Z110BT Headunit|Di-Noc 3M Dry Carbon Fiber Trim|Armrest w/ Cover|MRZ "Cobalt SS" Door Sills|K&N Drop-in Filter|GMS1|Goodyear Eagle GT AS Tires|
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Prospect

Same thing happened to me friday, August 20 2010, would not shut off, luckily I was near the dealership, (sorry bunch of clowns) and after two hours, and dismantling the covering on the upper and lower of the steering column, finally removed the tumbler and key. installed new tumbler and two keys. Mechanic had rubbed againsst the door with his shoes, leaving gastly marks which I ended up washing off. Will never buy another GM product. Going to Hyundai......
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
yea same thing happened to one of my buddys, several times and not near a dealer at all.. he had to get it towed..

2010 Chevy Cobalt Coupe LT XFE 2.2L 5 Speed
Tsudo N-1 CatBack Exhaust
Spectre Custom fit Air Filter
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood Suggins View Post
Same thing happened to me friday, August 20 2010, would not shut off, luckily I was near the dealership, (sorry bunch of clowns) and after two hours, and dismantling the covering on the upper and lower of the steering column, finally removed the tumbler and key. installed new tumbler and two keys. Mechanic had rubbed againsst the door with his shoes, leaving gastly marks which I ended up washing off. Will never buy another GM product. Going to Hyundai......
Yeah, because nothing has ever been wrong with any Hyundai ever produced. lol

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will mpg View Post
Yeah, because nothing has ever been wrong with any Hyundai ever produced. lol
This, Hyundai has stepped up there quality as of late, but I would not buy one. Have a friend with a 07' sonata fully loaded, had a issue with it, took it to the dealer, they told him they were voided his warranty since his previous work wasn't done through them(i.e. regular maintenance stuff car is bone stock) and I have heard others complain about this same thing. Also, interior exterior seems to start falling apart after a couple of years.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Initiate

Day before yesterday I arrived home and tried to turn off my 2009 Cobalt that is exactly one year old and only has 2500 miles on it...

Key would not come out of cylinder...car was running and I was not able to shut off...Popped clutch while in gear and shut off engine but now all dash is still hot as key is stuck in on position...Open trunk and disconnect battery cable..

Took vehicle to dealer who had to replace the entire cylinder, cut two new keys and reprogrammed the chips in the ignition...

Apparently the tumblers inside these cylinders are very small and are somewhat delicate...

Mechanic and I came to conclusion that the huge collection of other keys I had hanging off the ignition key ring that would swing as I was driving could have caused the damage to the tumblers..Too much weight hanging

Yall might think about you key rings...

Of course the service writer told me he has not seen very many Cobalts with this cylinder problem....Right!....lol

Have a good one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode