Weird Engine Noise - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Weird Engine Noise

It's weird this only happens when my car has been sitting out in the sun for at least an hour or so. Other than that everything's fine. When I start up the engine it sounds normal for about 3 seconds and then it will make a loud clicking sound that sounds like a diesel engine for about 2 seconds. Then the engine will jerk for a split second. Is this all just because it's hot outside? Like the oil thinning out maybe? It's around 90-100 degrees everyday where I live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
I have the same problem with my car, was actually going to start a thread about it and see if anyone had the same thing, mine is basically everytime I start it and GM still can't diagnose the problem, they told me it was the starter staying engaged and replaced that, still the problem is there. I was also told it was the oil pump, which doesn't make sense at all, and another thing I was told is that it might be the starter solenoid. Unfortunately GM won't replace anything unless one of the tech's there hears it, and whenever they have the car, no noise, well so i'm told anyway

Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD, you always want to hit it but are afraid of the consequences
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Take a video of it.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Yeah I should do that, i've got a half decent camera for my ZX9, it should do the trick, i'll do that this weekend when i'm not working

Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD, you always want to hit it but are afraid of the consequences
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode