Check Engine and No Fuel...when There Is. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Check Engine and No Fuel...when There Is.

I drove to my friends house then i turned off the car for about 2 minutes, with about half a tank of fuel left. when i restarted my car my needle was at empty low fuel warning was on and check engine light came on. i know this might happen if the gas cap isn't fully tightened, so i turned off my car to tighten it with no success. turned my car on and same problem. but after driving for 30 seconds got my gas back! but engine light remained lit for about 2 hours of driving. i know its pretty vague but any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Did you have the code read?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

no i didnt, thats why im a bit paranoid :S

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marca View Post
I drove to my friends house then i turned off the car for about 2 minutes, with about half a tank of fuel left. when i restarted my car my needle was at empty low fuel warning was on and check engine light came on. i know this might happen if the gas cap isn't fully tightened, so i turned off my car to tighten it with no success. turned my car on and same problem. but after driving for 30 seconds got my gas back! but engine light remained lit for about 2 hours of driving. i know its pretty vague but any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
You might have to drive some more before the light goes off. Give it one to two days for it to go off (if it was the gas cap)

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Forum Regular

Gas cap won't make your gauge read empty it'll only throw a code. I'd say your fuel level bobber in the tank is going bad. Go to auto zone and borrow their code reader.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Newcomer

Have the same problem in my 2005 Balt.It has been like that for over a year.Gauge goes from up to full down to empty.Also the gas cap light comes on.Changed the fuel pump assembly and gas cap and still does it.Once this Balt hit 80,000 miles it has been nothing but trouble.Not a youngster driving it either.The car has never been beat.Fuel pump is wired to run all the time.It lost power to it 3 years ago.Not much help to you, but you have my sympathy on it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Contributor

sending unit is prob going bad or its a bad wire.

2006 Chevy Cobalt 2LT Coupe - Majestic Amethyst Metallic - Auto Trans
Factory- power windows, power locks, keyless entry, sunroof, chrome exhaust tip, leather steering wheel, leather shifter, white face gauges, fogs, and spoiler
Showoff Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode