Clunk when Accelerating? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Rocket Power
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerAdmin

Garage
Clunk when Accelerating?

I'm taking the Balt in this morning to get the steering recall done and to get it checked for a strange clunk noise. The clunk happens from almost every stop sign when I hit the gas to pull out. Just regular starts, not jack rabbit starts or anything. I usually notice it when pulling out in a straight direction. It sounds like it is coming from under the floor boards and I can feel it in the pedal. Any ideas on the cause?

Yea, tho I cruise through the valley of the shadow of rice, I will fear no Turbo,
for Torque art with me. Thy rods and crankshaft, they comfort me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:49 AM
Forum God

check your axles. any grease on the inside of your front tires?

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Rocket Power

Garage
None that I can see, but I will mention that to the tech...

ETA: Just dropped off...they said 9 outta 10 times that noise is caused by control arm bushings. So we shall see!

Yea, tho I cruise through the valley of the shadow of rice, I will fear no Turbo,

Last edited by RocketFoot; 09-23-2010 at 05:38 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
LCA bushing might make sense - or maybe your swaybar endlinks snapped, which will cause the swaybar to rock around.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 08:26 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

control arm bushings will do this. axles will click, not clunk. and very rarely does an inner cv joint fail unless youre as low as me, or are making way too much power for them. the only thing to worry about with axles normally is your outer cv joints. they will click when turning and accelerating. another possibility is transmission mounts, but most likely as i said control arm bushings. it's very common on these cars. sway bar end links will only cause a clunk when going over bumps. trust me, i am very familiar with the suspension on these cars considering i've broken and rebuilt just about everything.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Rocket Power

Garage
I may have bad sway bar ends then also. I hear some bobbling when going over rough roads (gravel)

This is all surprising since the car just turned 10,000 miles old! It's a 2007 model year.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:41 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

if it's not the end links, control arm bushings may also do this. first thing you should do is make sure the top nuts on your struts are tight, and if you've ever removed them, be sure to use new lock nuts. if you don't have access to new ones, load them up with loc-tite red.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Rocket Power

Garage
Well, the tech said that the suspension was tight. They did find the steering column loose so they replaced it under warranty. Also did the recall. So hopefully it is 100%! Going to pick it up soon!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Rocket Power

Garage
Well, the new column took care of the bobbling and clunk sound! But it is back at the dealer today so they can align the steering wheel! Somehow, they managed to make the wheel a bit off center. I just can't handle that so it will keep going back until it is right! LOL

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You should see mine dude, it's like 20 degrees off. It drives straight and doesn't pull, the wheel's just off...a lot, haha. That's from pulling the steering rack spacers out and not ****ing with the alignment.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode