Loud Hissing Noise - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Loud Hissing Noise

my 08 ls when ever i go past 4k rps from my engine bay is a horrible loud hissing and rattling. i check my CAI took it off and re bolted it still there any ideas what to check next. and it started after i put my lowering springs my alignment has to wait till tuesday when i get paid think that could be it?

-2008 cobalt 2.2 LS. what i have done: ingen CAI, DC -Sports cat back, B&M shift plus, 2.5 in drop kit,
whats on the list to do: header with high flow cat,, 2.2 bolt on supercharger kit from zzperformance, 2.4 TB and IM, trifecta tune.
-PICS and like the page : http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pro...4529021?ref=ts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
shot in the dark here, but try looking at you PCV hoses and fittings. Does the hissing follow wheel spin or RPMs? I know you said 4Ks in RPM, but only in that gear or in all gears?

MODS: GMPP "Performance" cat-back, GMPP intake, GMPP extrude honed header, GMPP ground effects kit, lip spoiler, gen 4 headlights, DC sport strut tower brace, splitter, vortex generators, motegi SP10, Iridium spark plugs, ractive aluminum pedals, white carbon shift knob, shorty antenna, 4300K HID low beams (screw electricals warranty)

by gCobalt05
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
all gears when ever i hit 4k rps it starts the just gets louder. it sounds like maroccas (musical instrument you shake ) lol it kinda sounds like its coming from near my tires but its to hard to tell

-2008 cobalt 2.2 LS. what i have done: ingen CAI, DC -Sports cat back, B&M shift plus, 2.5 in drop kit,
whats on the list to do: header with high flow cat,, 2.2 bolt on supercharger kit from zzperformance, 2.4 TB and IM, trifecta tune.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
sounds like a bearing or something is loose around the wheel then

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
yea but i can wip the car around and swerve hard with no noise.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by derherzog View Post
all gears when ever i hit 4k rps it starts the just gets louder. it sounds like maroccas (musical instrument you shake ) lol it kinda sounds like its coming from near my tires but its to hard to tell
Quote:
Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
sounds like a bearing or something is loose around the wheel then
I don't think it's the bearing if it follows the engine revs.
It still sounds like some sort of leak to me. When you say near your tires, do you mean the right or the left (as driver position)?

If the sound follows the revs then it's got something to do with engine component rather than wheel component.

MODS: GMPP "Performance" cat-back, GMPP intake, GMPP extrude honed header, GMPP ground effects kit, lip spoiler, gen 4 headlights, DC sport strut tower brace, splitter, vortex generators, motegi SP10, Iridium spark plugs, ractive aluminum pedals, white carbon shift knob, shorty antenna, 4300K HID low beams (screw electricals warranty)

by gCobalt05
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

so does it sound like a rattle snake or compressor surge? try and pinpoint where the sound is coming from and report back here.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
its hard to judge where its coming from bc i cant rev in neutral past 4k so sitting still and finding it is impossible. i know its not my CAI i just took that all apart and re bolted it next it the exhaust, iam going to tighten everything and check the gaskets on it. is deffently driver side but reving high its hard to tell if it from my wheel or under my car. and my car only has 26k miles on it no way the bearings are bad on it. but it the exhaust dosent fix it, iam going to take apart my wheel and redo the springs on it to make sure i but my control arm isant loose or anything doing with the power going to that wheel

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Forum God

Ha ha ha. I got this.......

It's your dp. Right where it bolts to the manifold. But here's the kicker. It's no leak. It's inside right at the area where the accordion flex pipe is. Your gonna need a new one. It's annoying as hell. I couldn't take it.

It's right where the flange an the flex pipe are welded. A section of steel broke off from the flange. Thats where the rattle comes from and the whistling. It happEns alot with stock dp.

Sorry for laughing cuz this happened to me past month

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
thank you lol its loud as shit and sounds terrible, my car sounded clean and loud before now its raspy. but if i get the recing soultions header and dp combo thing that will take care of it right? bolt right in to my dc sport exhaust. Chevy Cobalt 4-1 Long Style Header/Downpipe Combo (2.2L)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode