New Engine?!? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Angry New Engine?!?

Alright so I own a '06 cobalt LS (yeah crappy one), my cousin was in town and needed to drive somewhere, so i told him alright take my car.

He goes on the highway and a pickup truck cover flies off in front of him and he runs over it. About 10 mins later the temp. light comes on...and he continues driving . Needless to say the engine overheats and he comes to a stop (the pickup truck cover ruined the radiator).

It gets towed to a shop and bad news; the engine is gone, 25, 0, 10, and 50 psi in the cylinders. So now i need a new engine, the shop gave me a quote @ $3180 for the new engine and install (not sure if they included the radiator fix in it). Personally I have no idea how much I should be paying for a new engine, but I figure someone on here might (It's a L4 2.2L 134ci 2)?

Thnx for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Sorry to hear the bad luck, but he really should've stopped when warning lights are going off..... anyways what's done is done.

Engine prices can vary GREATLY, depening on where are you getting it from, the mileage the year etc....

for example a quick search on eBay yielded:

ENGINE / MOTOR 07 08 Cobalt HHR Malibu G5 Ion 2.2 Liter on eBay.ca (item 110579974511 end time 29-Sep-10 10:31:02 EDT)

DO NOT USE THIS LINK, SEE BELOW FOR THE RIGHT SITE
You can also try Car Parts, Truck Parts, Auto Accessories: Just Great Parts Cheap at CarParts.com and search your local.

Your best bet it looking for it on the aboved mentioned website and try to find one that has the least mileage on it. Good luck.

3K$ for an engine+install, he's not ripping you off, but doesn't mean you can't do it for cheaper.

Also if you're into modding, this is your best chance to get a 2.4L or even a supercharged SS. If you goto the wreck yards then, might I suggest getting the ECU along with it too!

good luck

MODS: GMPP "Performance" cat-back, GMPP intake, GMPP extrude honed header, GMPP ground effects kit, lip spoiler, gen 4 headlights, DC sport strut tower brace, splitter, vortex generators, motegi SP10, Iridium spark plugs, ractive aluminum pedals, white carbon shift knob, shorty antenna, 4300K HID low beams (screw electricals warranty)

by gCobalt05

Last edited by loco_stevie; 09-24-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: wrong website link
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
And this is why the only other person who drives my car is my dad...

Sorry to hear dude. $3k sounds about right.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties

Last edited by MP81; 09-24-2010 at 06:23 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 06:34 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
shoot, my bad I made a mistake on the website and I didn't check it,

the website to find parts is:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

not the above mentioned site. SOrry!

MODS: GMPP "Performance" cat-back, GMPP intake, GMPP extrude honed header, GMPP ground effects kit, lip spoiler, gen 4 headlights, DC sport strut tower brace, splitter, vortex generators, motegi SP10, Iridium spark plugs, ractive aluminum pedals, white carbon shift knob, shorty antenna, 4300K HID low beams (screw electricals warranty)

by gCobalt05
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

i would just mill everything and re-do the head gasket but i'm sure your shop doesn't have the time for that.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Yeah, really depending on what went wrong with it (blew a head gasket I'd assume?), it can be fixed without the need for a new engine.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
depending on how hot and long it was driven, aluminum blocks don't tend to do so well under these situations.

Pure aluminum melts away at 660C and aluminum alloys at around 1000C. Combustion occurs at 2000C, without coolant, it won't do too well. Let alone thermal shock and resultant gradient to the block.

I'm sure there are micro fractures everywhere. I wouldn't ever use a engine like that even after you make it geometrically sound and replace the gaskets.,

by gCobalt05
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

You do make an excellent point. Aluminum reacts strangely from impacts and heat so
ill have to agree with you on that one

Last edited by ff_drift_lol; 09-24-2010 at 12:27 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Say What again!

Garage
Yep, aluminum is real easy to **** up.

We drove an hour down to BFE in Monroe to look at a set of AFR heads for my Little B's fox body. The guy said they were on an engine that blew up but the heads were fine. Perfect, even.

Oh my how that was a lie...there were ****ing CHUNKS of metal in all the combustion chambers from detonation. He kept trying to tell us that they're fine, and he ran those heads (in THAT condition) on another engine and it was fine!

Umm, yeah, thanks for wasting half the day, *******, they're complete junk.

His girlfriend was hot a hell though, oh my god.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yeah I was considering just repairing the engine. But after doing some research I came up w/ what stevie said.

But since I'm getting a new engine would it be worth it to get the 2.4L or supercharged one? Are there any complications associated with it (bigger engines produce more heat, etc)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode