Please help - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Please help

Ok, I have a 2006 Cobalt LS which I am in love with.earlier today i was trying to install an amp and 15 inch sub that a friend sold me, and I dont know what happened but now my power steering is out, my SERVICE AIR BAG light is on, my wipers aren't working, and my A/C buttons aren't working... Believe it or not it WAS WORSE!!! it wouldn't even start at first... i disconnected the battery, and got it started but a message read ENGINE POWER REDUCED, and my accelerator was not working. i unplugged the battery again, and thi fixed the engine power issue, and the accelerator issue. i read somewhere on this forum that someone else had grounded out a fuse, and that it fried a "TRACE between the ECM and the FUSE BOX" WHAT THE F*&% is a TRACE??? i seriously need help, the car turns on and runs B-E-A-UTIFULLY, but the wipers, power steering and A/C, arent working and the SERVICE AIRBAG light message is on, i have GREAT mechanic friends, and im not afraid to buy a part, i just need to know WHAT PART!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

i JUST joined, this is a VERY helpful, and informative Forum, i look forward to yall's help (yes im from TEXAS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
check your fuses, sounds like you blew one out

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

the ones for the airbags, and wipers and stuff or just al of them in general??? sorry im new to this

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
yeah the ones for the items that aren't working

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Contributor

Garage
I don't know about on cars, but on computer motherboards a "trace" is one of those little gold lines/wires that runs along the motherboard. Maybe you fried something like that?

Portland's SS wannabe

'08 Cobalt LS coupe: Check out my showoff thread!
K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
Raceline 17" Type 126 rims
Shift boot stitching mod
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:48 AM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If it's not the fuses I would take it in, have them check it out and let you know what is wrong. I would then try to fix it yourself. It may be the ECM.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
Ok heres a couple questions.
Where did you get your 12V power for the amp from?
Where wire did you tap your remote wire into for your amps remote power?
Is the amp turning on when you start the car or turn the key to accessory?
Did you take the fuse cover off, on the passenger side console. With the car off, take the white fuse puller that is located in the lower right below the fuses and start pulling fuses. One by one top to bottom, left to right, do one at a time and look for the fuse-able link inside the fuse to be broken.
I believe after tapping the remote wire you accidentaly grounded the wire and blew a fuse in the accessory circuit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Contributor

in my opinion and experience the best way to hook up an amp is to run the remote wire to a switch insted of a fuse...

Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD, you always want to hit it but are afraid of the consequences.
I purposely down shift when i pass a prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
You should never have to use a switch on a remote wire, and it should always be fused in some form. I have seen people run a direct wire from battery to the remote turn on input on the amp and throw a toggle switch in the middle, this is a big no no. if there is no form of fuse in line with the power source and if something happens where there is an accidental dead short you could have a case of "Damn I just fried my amps power supply turn on sensor". You always use a inline fuse or an accessory wire circuit that is fused!
If you dont have an aftermarket deck then you don't technically have a remote wire. if you do then it is usually the blue wire in your aftermarket stereo's harness, sometimes there is a blue and white wire it is generally the power antenna wire.
The only purpose the remote wire has is that it provides a 12v source that is turned on and off when the deck is turned on and off. The purpose it serves is to turn on and off a amp or some other device that needs a 12v source to run the power supply censer inside the unit to tell the device to turn on and off.
If you are running the factory radio you need to find a 12 accessory wire that is fused. Just do a little research and figure out what circuit you are tapping into for your 12v supply so if a fuse ever does blow you will know which one it is, tho it never should.

Last edited by DROPPEDATBIRTH; 09-26-2010 at 10:48 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

thanks for the valuable input fellow Cobalteers!!! upon close and meticulous inspection of ALL the fuses in the kick panel fuse box, i found that they were ALL in tact.... i then switched my focus to the panel under the hood, where one by one they were proving to be good too. untill i got to a 20 amp fuse that was labeled on the cover as (something ign) and this fuse was blown, used a factory provided spare 20 amp fuse from the spare fuse section, and viola! ALL PROBLEMS ARE GONE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode