The Cobalt That Just Doesn't Want to Work... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

The Cobalt That Just Doesn't Want to Work...

Okay so a month ago:
I was driving down the highway, perfectly fine and BAM check engine light comes on and the engine starts shaking like crazy.

So I call Triple A, and have my car towed. They said I needed an oil change and spark plugs replaced. Take the car home, seems to be driving fine. The next day I drive it into the city, when I come out of my hour appointment the car does the same thing! (Towed to a different place)

It is then towed again, they cleaned the intake motor, said everything was cool. Drive it, dies again, towed back to the same place. They said they can't find ANYTHING wrong.

So then I have it towed to the dealer. Dealer says it's the Catalytic Converter and they did the Power Steering recall on my Cobalt while it's there. Replace the converter last Wednesday. Car drives GREAT for 4 days.

Drive it down to my girlfriend's, dies in her driveway. However, this time with no check engine light just starts up and dies. Tow it to her mechanic, bad Rear O2 Sensor. Replace that and now it just starts up and dies. (Mechanic still has it) He thought it may be the fuel pump, but no sign of anything amiss on the gauges. There's no lights or errors they can find.

What the heck could this be? I've been a month without a car, and I'm starting to get really frustrated! I've dumped $1300+ into this so far with no fix! This is a 2006 Cobalt LT with 135K miles on it.

Any ideas?

Last edited by FadeToBright; 09-28-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If it's the fuel pump, you can check fuel pressure at the rail, that might tell you if that's an issue or not. ECM could be an issue...

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
135K miles with those problems actually doesn't sound too bad

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
If it's the fuel pump, you can check fuel pressure at the rail, that might tell you if that's an issue or not. ECM could be an issue...
They checked the fuel pressure - it's perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
135K miles with those problems actually doesn't sound too bad
but 135k miles and no idea what's wrong with it?

I understand the Cat. Converter and Rear O2 Sensor, as well as the spark plugs. But it's just starting and dying now...

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Forum God

Battery? If the check engine light came on, what code came on.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Dude u can't jus go throwing money like that. If I throw down 1300 bucks my car better be running fine

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailcesar75 View Post
Battery? If the check engine light came on, what code came on.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Dude u can't jus go throwing money like that. If I throw down 1300 bucks my car better be running fine
No check engine light, nothing. There's no codes being thrown and nothing lighting up on the dash.

As far as the money towards the car, I was told it would fix it. I'm not a car guy, by any means. (I'm actually an IT guy)

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Forum God

IT? Nice!!!!

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 06:27 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

haha woww your shops a buncha doody heads. they totally sold you a bunch of stuff and didn't fix anything. so tell me this, your dic on the dash what does it say when it dies and i guess it doesn;t start back up? does the power turn on with the key on?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Now it's showing a Misfire on one of the cylinders.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Compression test.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode