Intermittent Hesitation. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Intermittent Hesitation.

Three times, in two separate days I had a problem with my 2010 Cobalt LT1 hesitating when accelerating from a stop or near stop. The first incident was two weeks ago. I was stopped at a stop light for a minute or two. All seemed well until I hit the gas. It bogged down seemed like it wanted to stall. I let up on the gas and pressed back down on the gas and everything went back to normal and all seemed fine till today. This morning I backed the car out and parked it in the street. Later, this afternoon I went to move it back into the driveway. Due to some other cars now parked on the block, I decided it would be easier to go around the block. All seemed fine until I slowed down to make my second left. I slowed almost to a stop and then I hit the accelerator since there was no oncoming traffic. It seemed like it was bogging down then finally accelerated. Ditto for the third left. I ran around the block a couple of more times to see if this repeated itself. It did not. All seems fine now. Keep in mind that my Cobalt has only 5500 miles on it so the filters, injector(s) and throttlebody should be clean. My plugs, wires and coils should be in near factory fresh condition. So all, what are your thoughts. Should I take it to the dealer to be looked at? Should I try some sort of gas treatment first? I generally take my Cobalt to only a few gas stations and I do not use no name crappy gas. So I dont think dirty gas is the culprit especially since I have refueled between the first and second incidents. I NEVER had any problems with my 06 Cobalt in any way shape or form so I doubt its the way I drive it either. Thanks all in advance for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to parise9 Send a message via MSN to parise9
dealer 5500 miles = they fix anything as long as you didn't touch anything
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by parise9 View Post
dealer 5500 miles = they fix anything as long as you didn't touch anything
I havent touched anything, that is certain. I havent even had to put my own washer fluid in it yet. As stated. I use the common name branded gas. 99% of the time, I use the Gulf Station in town. Others include Lukoil and Valero. Once I was desperate and refueled at a Quick Check in upstate New York, but that was like a month ago. I will NOT fuel up at a no name or cheapy gas stations ie: Delta, US Gas, Citgo.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Expert

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Eyesore
when u say u accelerate, do u floor it? If u floor it, it will bog down..thats why I never floor mine...I keep my throttle at 20% if I want to accelerate fast (flooring it puts ur throttle at 18% and makes ur tach hit the rev limiter, at 20% it holds ur rpms at 5200)

Magnaflow Catback, Jet Performance Chip, B&M Shift+, 8000k bi-xenon H.I.Ds, and more
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyesore View Post
when u say u accelerate, do u floor it? If u floor it, it will bog down..thats why I never floor mine...I keep my throttle at 20% if I want to accelerate fast (flooring it puts ur throttle at 18% and makes ur tach hit the rev limiter, at 20% it holds ur rpms at 5200)
Nope, not flooring it. Especially not making a left turn in a residential neighborhood. We are talking normal acceleration and normal driving conditions.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to G5Steven
take it to the dealer, and have them do a ride along with you, 9 out of 10 times if the dealer checks it, it is either
A - They don't bother with it, just drive it in back let it sit, then call you and say nothing happened out of the ordinary,
B - they do drive it, and nothing happens out of the ordinary because they don't drive like YOU DO

So, take it in, recreate everthing that is making it do it on the way there to see if you can make it happen, then when you get there, DO NOT shut the car off, just go in, ask for a tech to come sit in the pass seat, and you drive it like you drove it in... this way, no cycle has been broken in the ECM, and the engine is at proper operating temp, and YOU are the one recreating the issue not a tech with a heavy foot.

now it could be something else completely, and that the way you are applying the throttle is messing with your mind and making you think it should be going faster, than it really should be. My Dad's 04 GMC Sierra does this all the time... the throttle is so touchy that if I ease on it, I feel like it is bogging down then it takes off because there is a point at the beginning of the pedal travel where nothing is being told to the computer, then past that point the throttle starts to move. My brother's 08 G5 is the same way. (both are automatics)

So, it is either a jedi mind trick, or something is really wrong, either way, if you can create it at the dealer with a tech in the pass seat, then you are golden with getting it fixed right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode