I Need Help, Its an Odd Problem - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I Need Help, Its an Odd Problem

Ok if this has been talked about before im sorry i wouldnt know how to search for this

My cobalt will work perfect for a day or two no problem, then randomly i hear ding ding and it starts freaking out. The power steering light pops on and off, all my speedometers and gauges keep dying and coming back on, it starts to shift really rough.

This started a while ago, it use to stop after i turn off and back on the car and it would work perfect. It started a few weeks apart, then days and now it happens around a day and a half apart. The security light turns on, and if i drive it while its messed up eventually the check engine light comes on displaying a transmission codes. (its almost light the computers arnt communication properly) But once i take out the fuse by the battery it will work like new for another day and a half and the check engine will go off.

Ive taken it back to chevy and they replaced the power steering motor under the recall. Worked perfectly for two days and it went back to doing it. Ive taken it to a few shops including the one at chevy and after checking all the wires, wire harnesses, and grounds they couldnt figure that out without "taking things apart which would rack up a big bill with no promises"

The cobalt is a 2006 LS 2.2 with 86000 miles.

The only lead i have is MAYBE the ECU computer freaks out after i drive it a certain amount and doesnt work right until i take the fuse out resetting the computer?

Please any help would be great, what can/should i do? has this happened to anyone Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Expert

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Eyesore
have u tried unhooking the battery for 10-15 minutes? It'll reset the computer

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

and welcome to the site by the way \m/

Magnaflow Catback, Jet Performance Chip, B&M Shift+, 8000k bi-xenon H.I.Ds, and more
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyesore View Post
have u tried unhooking the battery for 10-15 minutes? It'll reset the computer

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

and welcome to the site by the way \m/
they might have done that at the dealer but i just unhooked it, i really hope this will work. thanks ill keep you posted. Wouldnt taking out the big fuse in the back do the same thing? Or just partial? thanks again

Edit*
if i remember correctly i took off one terminal and put it back on and it worked great for about 2-3 months, then went back to doing it

Last edited by joshuadjohnson; 10-24-2010 at 03:56 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Expert

Garage
sometimes it just has to be reset again, and unplugging the battery for 15 minutes will reset it

Magnaflow Catback, Jet Performance Chip, B&M Shift+, 8000k bi-xenon H.I.Ds, and more
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyesore View Post
sometimes it just has to be reset again, and unplugging the battery for 15 minutes will reset it
ok i did it, and it remembered all m radio stations, does that mean it didnt work?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Expert

Garage
it shouldn't remember the presets u did I don't think anyways...did it reset the clock? If it didn't do the clock it was resetted right

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to parise9 Send a message via MSN to parise9
i'd go with the clock. i had mine disconnected for a day and half and it remembered all my presets.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
^^^ Smart radio. Yeah, just time it a 30 minutes or so... And go ahead and take off both terminals. I mean if you are going to do it go for the gold. lol

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

ok, it worked great until tonight. Now no matter if i unplug the fuse or not, it freaks out after about 5 min. I dont know what to do. A old GM manager said he worked on a lot of these and thinks its a short in the steering column that should be covered under the recall, do you think that could be a possibility?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
There was a membe having similar stuff happening, think it was some transmission sensor. Check some of the other posts to find it.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode