Codes Codes Codes - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Codes Codes Codes

p0017- timing misalignment

ECM- has detected the crank sensor is not aligned with the cam sensor.

Can someone please tell me how to go and align these back together or if there is a thread with pictures would help.

my second code
p0300 random cylinder misfire

Please help me my car is getting worse by the day, the dealer wants $600 bucks to fix it :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to dkscbalt
Sounds like you have a timing issue. I know if your timing is off all of those codes can pop up. But it's a shot in the dark cause idk if you're driving an ss tc, ss sc, 2.4, or 2.2. Also what mods if any do you have?

Built not bought fully bolted 2.2 and Trifecta Tuned

Authorized Trifecta Reseller In Central Wisconsin

Check out my new showoff thread!!!
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...entral-wi.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yah that would help if i posted that

anyhow its 06 ss/sc

mods
injen intake
2.900 biletflow pulley
megan exhaust

i put the exhaust on when i bough the car a few weeks back. The check engine light came on the next day. the intake and pulley were put on by the previous owner so i don't know if there is anything else done to it.

Ive done some research as well on my injectors and it looks to be stock plus i don't even know if there is a tune currently on the car.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Expert

Garage
i had a cilynder misfire and it was one of the injectors a couple weeks ago... just putin that out there

Sig by Padlock
Showoff thread
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
Sounds like the timing chain jumped or possibly broke. There are small dots on the camshaft gears and crank gears that all need to line up in a certain way. I can't remember exactly. They need to be in this configuration with the timing chain in place. The multiple misfire is probably due to the bad timing. There is probably a tutorial around the forums somewhere on how to do the timing. You can also check autozones website, they have some free online manuals that may describe the process.

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2L Ecotec
Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CobaltKatsu Send a message via MSN to CobaltKatsu
there is 2 timing chains. one is for the crank timing and the other is cam timing. if you take your valve cover off, theres 2 sprockets on the left side of the engine. each sprocket looks different if i remember correct. one should have a mark that says INT and the other should have one that says EXH or somethin like that. If i remember the INT cam sprocket has a triangle for the marking, and theres 3 colored links on that chain, 2 blue and one pink i think. the 2 blue links should be pretty far apart, one blue link should line up with the Exhaust cam sprocket marking, and the other blue one goes down to a tiny sprocket just a little bit above your oilpan. the pink link lines up with the marking on the intake cam sprocket.

The p0300, check if your spark plugs would be the first thing i would check. are they the correct plugs for the car? then go from there, are you getting spark to the coils?

2008 Silver LS, 2.2L, 18" wheels, Airbox Mod Rockford Fosgate 10s', Stock Deck, 20% Tint, 10k HIDs, Tsudo N-1, Megan Racing Coilovers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2eco View Post
i had a cilynder misfire and it was one of the injectors a couple weeks ago... just putin that out there

How did you find out which injector it was?

Im running stock injectors still

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltKatsu View Post
there is 2 timing chains. one is for the crank timing and the other is cam timing. if you take your valve cover off, theres 2 sprockets on the left side of the engine. each sprocket looks different if i remember correct. one should have a mark that says INT and the other should have one that says EXH or somethin like that. If i remember the INT cam sprocket has a triangle for the marking, and theres 3 colored links on that chain, 2 blue and one pink i think. the 2 blue links should be pretty far apart, one blue link should line up with the Exhaust cam sprocket marking, and the other blue one goes down to a tiny sprocket just a little bit above your oilpan. the pink link lines up with the marking on the intake cam sprocket.

The p0300, check if your spark plugs would be the first thing i would check. are they the correct plugs for the car? then go from there, are you getting spark to the coils?

Well after i posted this post about my codes the cars engine started shaking very bad and i took it to the dealer... kept it for 3 days and then they said it might be the sensor then it was not and i paid 230 bucks for nothing, then they continued on to tell me it might be my chain ?

I told them forget it and i took the car back. car is still acting the same as it did. its weird because when i turn it on its fine but after a few minutes it starts acting up again and the engine shakes really bad.

Iam going to try removing the valve cover off and look for what you said. do you think it will be hard for me considering ive never takin off the valve cover? thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode