Ignition Problems - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Ignition Problems

Hi There,

Just purchased a used Cobalt LS 2.2L Automatic. When I put the key all the way into the ignition cylinder it is completely stuck.... won't turn. Usually if I back the key out a slight bit, it will turn over.
The other day I couldn't get it to turn over at all. The key eventually got stuck in the ignition and the delaership tried to tell me it was a battery issue. Of course the battery was dead, they left the key in the ignition over a weekend before even looking at it. They didn't even look at the ignition switch or anything else. Well of course I am still having a hard time turning it over with the key all the way in. I was thinking it was the key but it doesn't look that worn and no hesitation in the door locks. I have read about some problems with the auto shifter cable but it seems odd that it will usually turn after I pull the key out a bit.
Anybody else have this problem? Does is sound like a key issue or the ignition lock cylinder?
Thanks for the input........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Newcomer

In my experience it's probably the cylinder, they tend to break easily.It could also be something in the shifter lock mechanism (i'm investigating the problem myself, i'll try to keep you informed of what i find out.) If this continues to happen there is a way to get the key out.

On the bottom of the steering wheel there is a little panel that will pop out with a flat blade screwdriver. Once you get it out, take a flashlight and look in there, there will be a little white button, push and hold that button while turning the key and it should come out.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Forum Regular

I had this problem with mine (06 LT Coupe). My husband had to replace the whole shifter. Not a problem since. (About 2 months later.) Can't remember at the moment the cost of the shifter, but it was in-stock at the local Chevy dealer (meaning it's a common problem).

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
GM uses junk lock cylinders, this is a common problem, there is actually a recall on this right now, The dealership you took it to knew this they probably replace 2 a wek, the cobalt is not the only GM car with this issue and like most they decided to screw you. Take it to the dealership and tell them you want it replaced for free. Read this thread.

Key stuck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Newcomer

thanks guys this just happened to me lol durn lock cylinder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode