Ignition Problem - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
Ignition Problem

This is more of a general tech question than a problem. The answer will tell me if I have a problem with my car or not. I have been having problems with my car turning off when hitting bumps. I recently discovered that my keys are so heavy that it is actually turning the key when hitting the bumps. My question is this, should I be able to start my car in neutral after my keys have been turned from Run to ACC? I currently am unable to do this. When the key gets turned I am unable to start the car again until i come to a complete stop and put it in park.

I have done some troubleshooting with different scenarios to see when my car will start. Here is a list:

1) Ignition tuned to ACC, shifter to N, turn ignition to run and the car starts
2) Repeat #1 but then turn ignition back to ACC to kill engine, turn ignition to run and the car starts
3) Start engine, shift to D, Turn Ignition back to ACC to kill engine, turn ignition to run and the car will not start or do anything
4) Start engine, shift to D, Turn Ignition back to ACC to kill engine, shift to N, turn ignition to run and the car will not start or do anything
5) Start engine, shift to D, Turn Ignition back to ACC to kill engine, shift to P, turn ignition to run and the car will start

Is this normal behavior for the car? Numbers 3 & 4 are my main concerns. I would think I would be able to start my car in N after it being turned off. What are your thoughts on this matter? If its a problem, what may need to be fixed?

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2L Ecotec
Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CobaltKatsu Send a message via MSN to CobaltKatsu
well i dont have an automatic so im not too sure. but # 3 sounds like its correct, the should not start when it is in D. But it should start in N just fine. im not sure about the whole turning it off then back on thing. but seems to me like its working fine. have other guys with automatics try it.

2008 Silver LS, 2.2L, 18" wheels, Airbox Mod Rockford Fosgate 10s', Stock Deck, 20% Tint, 10k HIDs, Tsudo N-1, Megan Racing Coilovers
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Staff Alumni

Garage
Send a message via MSN to biniecki Send a message via Yahoo to biniecki
I thought the same thing with turning it back on in D might not work to protect the trans. I think it should start in N and once in awhile it will. Most of the time it will not and I need to pull over and put it in park to turn it back on.

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2L Ecotec
Show Off Thread

hailcesar quote - "I think you got the best transformation from Ls to badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CobaltKatsu Send a message via MSN to CobaltKatsu
maybe you have a bad park/neural switch. it should start in neutral

2008 Silver LS, 2.2L, 18" wheels, Airbox Mod Rockford Fosgate 10s', Stock Deck, 20% Tint, 10k HIDs, Tsudo N-1, Megan Racing Coilovers
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Contributor

no this happened to me once,and i wasnt able to start it in neutral,i imagine its somesort of saftey thing so u dont leave it in neutral when u turn it off and start it and stuff so it dont roll,i mean its just a guess but its prolly somtin crazy like tht,but mine wont start in neutral either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode