Engine Shaking - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Engine Shaking

I went to start my car this Morning and It was turning over and just barelY didnt start. It was 5 degrees out and ive been due for a new battery. So i jumped it and when it started it was really shakey like the whole car was shaking pretty good. I let it rub for like 15 minutes and ait never went away. I has very lit power almost no throttle response. I changed all the plugs and nothing got better. any ideas on what it could be. Its an 05 with 83k on it. Ran completely fine yesterday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Expert

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Eyesore
try putting a block heater on it

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

now don't take offense to this question, but are u a troll? what I mean is, this is ur first post and u've been here for almost 2 years

Magnaflow Catback, Jet Performance Chip, B&M Shift+, 8000k bi-xenon H.I.Ds, and more
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Im not a cobalt enthuasist by any means so i go on here to search for answers with problems with my car. This was the first time i didnt find any in a search so i started a new thread bout my problem. Block heater is not the problem. I just barely got to autozone and back to get the check engine light code checked, and he said it had multiple misfires and then ,mentioned burning metal smell and my "down pipe" to my cat was literally glowing orange

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:07 AM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Good on changing the plugs. If it was my car, I'd probably change my plug wires too and see if that worked.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g472/saint-guinefort/cobalt1.jpg
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
The cat was glowing red, eh? Maybe it was running super, super rich...

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

to follow up for anyone having this probelm down the road..... it ended up being the ignition control module. $80.00 @ autozone. Only problem is when the pipe before the cat was getting so hot it burned out the o2 sensor aswell. It only got so hot i think cause i left it idling for quite a while thinking it might have been some water in the fuel and had to work its way out
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Garage
I didn't see any mention of error codes in this thread. I bought a $29.95 error code reader off Amazon and the printed Cobalt shop manual so I could look stuff up. Is that how they figured it out, by using an error code reader?

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g472/saint-guinefort/cobalt1.jpg
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

they used the OBDII scanner that plugs into the port just under the driverside dash next to the pullt down compartment with the trunk button in it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode