Tire Pressure Sensors - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Tire Pressure Sensors

Just got my 'Balt serviced and I am getting different readings on tire pressure. Both fronts read 33psi The right rear reads 32psi and the left rear reads 31psi. The tech SHOULD have checked the tire pressure and they all SHOULD be the same. Is this just a quirk in the tire pressure sensors? Anyone else see these differences in tire pressure from tire to tire? Should I take the car back to Chevy and have them check the tire pressure again. Maybe take it to a tire dealer? Thanks in advance for any reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Send a message via AIM to parise9 Send a message via MSN to parise9
that's the tech bein' lazy and maybe the sensor estimating with the decimal provided... like 32.3psi =32.... 32.6 = 33psi...

"The price of Freedom sure is steep..."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
I would go to a gas station and put air in them myself, before I went thru all the hassle of going back to the dealership for tire pressure.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
TPM sensors are just made to scare little old lady's into think there is something wrong with there tires. I see it everyday... just go to your local gas station and fill it up with some air and you'll be fine.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPPEDATBIRTH View Post
I would go to a gas station and put air in them myself, before I went thru all the hassle of going back to the dealership for tire pressure.
dang it i just said that lol but you beat me to it haha

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
TPM's are not exactly accurate down to the exact psi. People are ridiculous about these things. I work at a GM dealer and I use a digital gauge to set tire pressures. My gauge will read down to the .5 psi. If I set all 4 tires to exactly 35 psi and then go look at the read outs on the DIC, They will not all read the same and they will read anywhere from 32 to 37. Air temp, tire temp and bumps in the road will all cause these pressures to fluctuate. Think about when you had a car without TPM's. I highly doubt that you ever gave a crap if your tires were 5 psi different from each other and if you did care you had no clue unless you checked your tires every day. It's a total joke to try to set each tire exactly to what the DIC says. Going by the tire gauge is much more accurate. And seriously do you really think a 1 - 3 psi difference is gonna affect anything? we are not talking about NASCAR here.

just sayin.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
just take the tpms out and replace with valve stems. problem solved!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerlow View Post
TPM's are not exactly accurate down to the exact psi. People are ridiculous about these things. I work at a GM dealer and I use a digital gauge to set tire pressures. My gauge will read down to the .5 psi. If I set all 4 tires to exactly 35 psi and then go look at the read outs on the DIC, They will not all read the same and they will read anywhere from 32 to 37. Air temp, tire temp and bumps in the road will all cause these pressures to fluctuate. Think about when you had a car without TPM's. I highly doubt that you ever gave a crap if your tires were 5 psi different from each other and if you did care you had no clue unless you checked your tires every day. It's a total joke to try to set each tire exactly to what the DIC says. Going by the tire gauge is much more accurate. And seriously do you really think a 1 - 3 psi difference is gonna affect anything? we are not talking about NASCAR here.

just sayin.
Back before TPM's the only time the tires got checked was when the car went in for servicing unless a tire looked low. Now you get a tire pressure reading once a month with your OnStar email and every time you toggle through the DIC to check some other reading which is what happened this afternoon. I really didnt consider it to be an emergency situation or anything, but I was curious as to how accurate the TPM's are. I can see some people , like a friend of mine who would really be bothered by it as he like to keep his tires at 35 psi at all times. He is so anal about it he checks his tires once a week. I on the other hand, not so much, especially during the winter months. Since the TPM's are not that accurate, perhaps they were a bad idea.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
TPM's are something that our wonderful Government has made a requirement on all new vehicles. No TPM's are not exactly accurate, yes they are a nice thing to have for making sure your tires are close to the proper Psi. And yes the psi in your tires always fluctuates with temperature changes. As long as people understand those basic things they are a nice thing to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode