Help Please.... My Balt Keeps Stalling Out on Me!! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Help Please.... My Balt Keeps Stalling Out on Me!!

This is kinda long, sorry, but this issue is beginning to stress me out to the point I can't take it anymore.

I have an 06 Balt LT Coupe. It has 63xxx miles on it, auto tranny, 2.2 liter. I live in Ohio, and it's been pretty cold here lately (single digits).

Back in the first part of December, my car stalled out on me. It threw the check engine light. My husband and I took it to a shop that we trust, and he cleared the code. The code thrown was Throttle Position Sensor something or other. I trust my mechanic more than I trust my own father, and he said that clearing the code had a 50/50 chance of fixing it on it's own.

About a week later, it stalled out on me again (no code thrown this time). My husband is a body guy who knows a pretty good amount of mechanical stuff, and he thought it needed a new fuel filter. We took my car to a local (different than my "regular" shop, but only because of convenience, and the fact that i needed tires before winter also) place, and they changed the fuel filter, put on the new tires, and gave me an oil change. Within a couple of days, it stalled out again. I did some research on the net (specifically HERE) and he cleaned out the throttle body. (We didn't really want to buy a new throttle body if we didn't have to, and you have to buy the whole body to replace the sensor.)

My car ran fine just under 2 wks. (Which of course meant I thought it was cured.) 3 days shy of 2 weeks later (on Dec. 21), I was hit by someone running a red light. My car was out of commission (I was in a rental) for about a month.

The rental was turned back in on Jan. 17. I couldn't have been happier. I had ZERO problems with my car until February 2nd. My car stalled out on me as I pulled into my parking spot at work (very early in the morning, so kinda cold outside), and then, when I went to leave, I had problems starting it. I finally started it, but when I did, the check engine light was back on. My husband borrowed his boss's computer, ran the codes, and got the throttle codes again, so we decided to change out the throttle body. He ordered the part from Chevy, and it was delivered that day. (It was in stock, which makes us think that this is a common problem.) My husband installed it on the 4th. Later that evening, we went into town (we live about 8 miles out of town in the country) for dinner, and it stalled out again. My husband hadn't cleared the codes, and thought that maybe that had something to do with it. I took my car to his shop to have him clear the codes on the 9th (no stalling in between the 4th and the 9th). While he was clearing the codes, he noticed ANOTHER code for misfiring on the 2nd and 4th cylinders, so we hit up AutoZone and got new spark plugs. He replaced those a couple of nights ago. Yesterday (when the highs here were only in the teens), my car ran FINE all day long. No stalling whatsoever. Today (when the highs were in the mid 20s), it stalled on me at 430 am when I pulled into my parking spot at work, AND in the afternoon around 230 pm when I got home.

Any ideas, guys? My husband doesn't have a clue! I've got a new fuel filter, new throttle body, new spark plugs, AND I put dry gas in on every fill up (once every 2 weeks). There is absolutely NO. WAY. that this is a case of water in the gas! We are pretty close to the point where we're about to take it into our mechanic and tell him that if he has to keep it a week to figure out the problem, he has to keep it a week. I've noticed that it only stalls out when the car is at normal operating temperature (about 190ish). If I make a short trip and get to my destination while the temp is only at 150ish, it doesn't stall.

When it stalls, it's only when I'm coming to a stop (parking at work, stopping at a stop sign or light, etc). When my tach. gets around 500-600 RPM, it just wants to go below 500, and that's when it stalls out. It doesn't do it EVERY time, though. For example, it didn't do it at a stop sign a half mile from my home, but it did it when I pulled into the driveway less than 3 minutes later.

PLEASE ... Any ideas would be appreciated! (Especially ones that my kinda-mechanic hubby can fix!!!) Thanks!! :-) And thanks for taking the time to read my "book"!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
This is a common problem with a lot of the earlier year balts, and there are so many ways that this could happen, You have already tried allot of the common problems so try cleaning the maf sensor. Go to your local auto repair supply store, autozone, advance, etc, and buy mass air flow sensor cleaner. Its in an aerosol can.

You just spray it on the sensor element and let it dry. It 'blasts' the contaminates off.

You aren't supposed to touch the element in any way. Any particles or film you leave on the element will distort the. MAF voltage drop interpretation. After you do this while you are near the air box, have your husband blow out the air filter with an air hose, I am sure he has one at his shop. Try this, it only takes a few minutes and if it does not work you have just eliminated another possible cause. GM also made a reflash for early year cobalts because of this issue, I do not know much about it except for a local guy had it done and it cost him around 80 bucks and he hasn't had an issue since.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Good luck, hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPPEDATBIRTH View Post
This is a common problem with a lot of the earlier year balts, and there are so many ways that this could happen, You have already tried allot of the common problems so try cleaning the maf sensor. Go to your local auto repair supply store, autozone, advance, etc, and buy mass air flow sensor cleaner. Its in an aerosol can.

You just spray it on the sensor element and let it dry. It 'blasts' the contaminates off.

You aren't supposed to touch the element in any way. Any particles or film you leave on the element will distort the. MAF voltage drop interpretation. After you do this while you are near the air box, have your husband blow out the air filter with an air hose, I am sure he has one at his shop. Try this, it only takes a few minutes and if it does not work you have just eliminated another possible cause. GM also made a reflash for early year cobalts because of this issue, I do not know much about it except for a local guy had it done and it cost him around 80 bucks and he hasn't had an issue since.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Good luck, hope this helps.

Thanks!!! Will hit up autozone tomorrow and have the hubby try it tomorrow nite! If it's something this simple, I'm gonna kinda be mad if it's just a "cheap fix"!! LOL.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Update-

Cleaned the MAF sensor, and while the weather in my area was warm, she didn't stall on me. But when the outside temp got below 20 degrees, she did. Finally (about a week ago) she threw a code. Got her in the shop (she's there now). The code was for intermittent misfires. My hubby had gotten the codes for misfires on 2 & 4, which is why we changed the plugs. Apparently there were just 2 problems going on at the same time. The throttle body that my hubby replaced took care of THOSE issues, but my mechanic has put on a new coil pack. As of last I talked to him, it is no longer missing! He's currently adding fuel injection cleaner, and is going to drive it around a bit this afternoon to make sure, though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Newcomer

Talking

I had a similar issue with my 2.2 g5 se Its been a common problem ...
I found this thread today and picked up some throttle body cleaner. Loooked at the TB and holy bejesus... it was blacker(covered with carbon build-up) then night. I used the TB cleaner with a rag and made it all nice and shiny again, lone and behold no more dropped idles or stalls! Runs like a car fresh off the lot.

Here's the link to the thread i got the tip from. Literately thousand of owners had this problem. Applies to all cobalt engines too.

http://www.*************/forums/2-0l...inally-116051/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Newcomer

did the op's car finally get fixed? I'm having the same problem with my 06 LT so far I've replaced the MAF sensor and the gas cap, because its saying there's an evap leak detected and this was the first thing it said to check
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Nope, not fixed. "Symptoms" are def. better, but I really think that's due more to the weather. We've (in order of when we did it) replaced the fuel filter, changed plugs, cleaned and later replaced throttle body, cleaned MAF sensor, cleaned injectors, replaced injectors (Chevy dealers sell a kit for $99 for all 4 if you ever need to replace yours!), and changed plugs (yes, again). Around the time that weather in my area started getting over 30-40 degrees, she stopped stalling, and has been that way all summer, even though she shakes at stops occasionally and I can still feel her misfiring. I'm HOPING to limp her through this winter until next summer when she's paid off and I can get a new CRV. (I'm still going to keep the Balt, and hopefully figure out what's wrong with her though. I really do love this car, and other than this one issue, she is NOT a bad car.)

I have a feeling (and I hope I'm wrong) that she's gonna start stalling again here in about 2 months when it starts getting super cold again. If she does, she's going to the Chevy dealer. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my mechanic, but his next step is to replace the ECM, and I want a 2nd opinion before I go that far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode