Car Wont Start - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Car Wont Start

Hey guys my car hasnt been starting lately. I need to figure out the problem soon. What should I do? So heres the situation. The car has troubles starting in the cold. It start perfectly in above -10 Celcious. But as soon as it gets bellow -20 it usually has troubles starting. Most of the time it doesnt even turn over. What could be the problem? Again it starts good in normal weather conditions just as soon as it starts getting cold it fails. What im saying is that it is not very reliable or predictable. For example on the 28th of febuary it didnt start in the morning it was -35 . I had it plugged in and everything. And after school I get back home and it starts like a champ. Next morning.. The block Heater was not plugged in and it was -42 degrees Celsius and it started, I was totaly shocked. Cause lately it never starts in the cold. and then today it didnt start in the morning and it was -37 with the heater pluged in. I just dont get it.. And by the way when I mean when I say it doesnt start I mean it doesnt even atempt to turn over.

Could It be the starter or the solenoid or the ignition switch or the wires going into the starter? what else could it be.. and how do I narrow it down.

Also one last detail. when it wont start and you keep it in accesory power the check engine light stays on and so does the little car symbol with a lock on it. but it only does this when its cold and it wont start

Its not the battery because ive had it tested so many times. I cant figure out what it is.

Background Info

just recently replaced my battery a while ago.
Car doesnt seem to crank in the cold
05 base Pursuit

I also have a quick question about replacing a new battery in our cars.

Im refferecing to this how to. https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...ur-cobalt.html

What does the little grey wire do.. What happens if your new battery doesnt have a port for that grey wire?

Last edited by Curtis; 03-02-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Forum Regular

If I remember right, the grey "wire" is actually a vent tube.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

So would not having the vent wire plugged in do something wrong.. Also does anyone have any insight with my problems starting my car?

what is the point of this vent wire anyways??

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
So would not having the vent wire plugged in do something wrong.. Also does anyone have any insight with my problems starting my car?

what is the point of this vent wire anyways??
It's just a plastic tube...and it's purpose is to not have a build up of explosive battery gasses in your trunk, unless you like that sort of thing.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode