UGH....Tired of Being Nickel and Dimed!! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

UGH....Tired of Being Nickel and Dimed!!

For those of you who have been following my problems, the new fuel injectors corrected the misfiring! (YAY!!) (And you can ignore the last part of this...if you haven't been following my probs, I'm explaining more at the end.)

BUT my car is shaking (again) when I come to a stop at lights. It only does it once I'm at a complete stop. And I'm not talking a light shaking from worn rotors or in the steering. I'm talking whole-car-scare-the-crap-out-of-you shaking. It's like when you've got the sub on high and it causes vibrations that people can see from the outside (but way faster than the occasional sub thump). Any ideas? I don't know if the shaking shuts the car down, though, because as soon as it starts, I throw it in neutral or park and it stops.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those that haven't been following my problems, I had a stalling issue come up back in november. My hubby thought it was bad gas, so we had the fuel filter changed when I had my oil changed, and we added dry gas. A few days after the filter change, the check engine (shortened to C.E.) light came on, pointing to throttle position sensor. My mech. cleared the code, and a day or so later, my hubby cleaned the throttle body (shortened to T.B. in the rest of this). Few wks later, it did it again, so he replaced the T.B. The night he put the new one in, it stalled on us on way to dinner. Hubby cleaned MAF sensor a couple days later. No stalling for about a week or so. Couple wks later, C.E. light came back, this time pointing to a misfire on 2 & 3. Hubby changed spark plugs. About a week later, C.E. light came on AGAIN, and mech. read it misfiring on 2 & 3 still (code was for excessive misfires). He changed out the coil pack, and ran fuel injection cleaner in it. Helped for about 2 days, and stalled out on me again 2 days after getting it back. C.E. came back on, ran it to the shop, still the misfires, mech. put new injectors in. (Brand new ones from GM.) Had the new injectors put in yesterday, and last night and today both it's been doing the shaking thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Contributor

This is a WAG...but check your spark coils. If one is bad, your engine will run rough and it will be much more noticabe during idling.

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
This is a WAG...but check your spark coils. If one is bad, your engine will run rough and it will be much more noticabe during idling.
Aren't the coil pack and the spark coil one and the same?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Contributor

I think on engines produced before 07 there were two coils in a cassette. Post 07 they switched to an individual coil on plug.

I'd check the plugs, the wires and the coils. Again though ..it's just a guess teri.

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Newcomer

shaking at stop

there is a tsb on a similar problem.its to do with the torque converter not holding properly(transmission problem).there are no codes set.this might explain why when you put in park or neutral it stops because the torque converter is unloaded at this time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, but the shaking is just from the misfiring. Had her in the shop (AGAIN) about 3 wks ago, and replaced the spark plugs (again). For about a week, she was absolutely PERFECT, and then started misfiring again. This time around in the shop though, I find out she's misfiring on ALL cylinders, not just a couple. This is beginning to TICK ME OFF!!!! In the past 6-7 months, I've had a new fuel filter, new coil pack, new throttle body, new injectors, new plugs (x2), AND had the MAF sensor cleaned (x2). Mechanic has also checked for vacuum leaks and bad plug wires. Now, I won't pretend that I know alot about cars (hell, I don't know anything about them compared to some of you guys!), but I know that this kind of crap isn't normal!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode