Houston, We Have a Problem! Engine Miss at Idle! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Rocket Power
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerAdmin

Garage
Houston, We Have a Problem! Engine Miss at Idle!

I just started noticing a bit of a miss when I am stopped at a red light in gear, foot on the brake. It is random and the headlights dim when it happens. It will miss maybe 5 or 6 times and then seems ok. I couldn't get it to do it after running for a bit. Seems like it misses before it gets to full operating temp but not when it is cold...just somewhere in between! Car has 14,700K on it. No CEL or anything.

I have extended warranty but I know that will be a traumatic experience with out some kind of code or something showing! I'm going to try some dry gas just to rule that out but it is really weird! Only started doing this on Saturday.

Yea, tho I cruise through the valley of the shadow of rice, I will fear no Turbo,
for Torque art with me. Thy rods and crankshaft, they comfort me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Forum Regular

First off, be glad that it's starting to warm up a bit! I fought this on my car (06 LT) for I don't know how long, and the missing plus the cold (lower 20s and colder) made her stall out on me when coming to a stop! :(

Try checking/changing the spark plugs. Yes, it would probably be covered under your warranty, but for the price of them, esp. w/out a CEL, it might be something you just want to go ahead and do yourself. And you'll thank yourself if it fixes it.

If it doesn't fix it, good luck. I ended up having to replace 2 of the injectors (had my mech. do all 4 while he was in there, though) before mine would stop missing. Well, not stop missing, but drastically reduce the amounts (mine was missing enough to throw the CEL). There's still something going on, because I can feel her missing, but the $300 I spent on having my mech. replace the injectors has GREATLY reduced the vibrations I feel in my butt!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Rocket Power

Garage
I hope my issue was just bad gas...I put some fuel treatment in and it hasn't fluttered again. I'm keeping a close eye on it though!

Sorry to hear about your issues! I had a 91 Taurus that had a gremlin in it like that. Never did fully fix it but it ran dependably for 60,000 miles! The speed sensor inside the tranny finally broke and wasn't worth fixing.

Yea, tho I cruise through the valley of the shadow of rice, I will fear no Turbo,

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Forum Regular

dang...you lucked out!! I don't know how much money I've put into mine since nov. trying to fix one issue or another (throttle body, fuel filter, spark plugs, injectors, new tires, plus the work my hubby did on her when she was almost totaled - we talked ins. co. out of it....I really do LOVE this car....well, when she behaves!). sad thing is, she's only got 64xxx miles on her, which is, IMO, WAY too early to be nickel and diming me!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Newcomer

I have done this too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri2280 View Post
dang...you lucked out!! I don't know how much money I've put into mine since nov. trying to fix one issue or another (throttle body, fuel filter, spark plugs, injectors, new tires, plus the work my hubby did on her when she was almost totaled - we talked ins. co. out of it....I really do LOVE this car....well, when she behaves!). sad thing is, she's only got 64xxx miles on her, which is, IMO, WAY too early to be nickel and diming me!
I have all of these problems and replaced everything you said except the fuel injectors. But I also installed the map sensor too!! It still acts like it will be stalling at a idle after driving for 30 minutes or more! I'm thinking its engine problem though because I took it to the car shop after stalling and no soft codes came up! I think its the timing chain.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Rocket Power

Garage
It ended up being a spark plug and the coil that limits traction on each plug. Fixed her up good as new!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Newcomer

Lucky you you have the easy fixes. I already changed the spark plugs to high lithium ones and still I'm getting the problem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Rocket Power

Garage
No CEL to scan? What about those coils? I think that was the true culprit.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
No CEL to scan? What about those coils? I think that was the true culprit.
I scaned it today at a family friends shop. I drove around untill it idled like it would stall than I went to the shop. I never turned the car off and no current codes came up just old ones. I posted a new topic were thinking its somthing engine related since nothing came up in the codes. Maybe idle control valve, timing chain, actual timing of the motor, or the ecu. What do you think?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Newcomer

Well it doesn't matter much anymore my engine died so it was a engine error! I was driving on the hwy and than my car beeped with engine power failure the engine died had to cruise off the highway. I tired to turn it over after turning it off it just stumbled. Than now when I turned it over after waiting 30 minutes I turned it over it started than it stumbled and died and same error came up. So finally this problem will be solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode