Odd Noise - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Odd Noise

Hello everybody,
On a recent road trip I my car started to have a strange noise come from beneath the car. The noise kind of sounds like a distant helicopter or whipping of a tie hanging outside one of the doors…just from underneath the car. It is loudest on the passenger side. The faster you drive the faster the thumping/whipping goes, but the noise doesn’t seem to get louder. Nothing seems to be hanging underneath the car, and as far as I can tell nothing is loose.
The car has never had this noise before the trip and the only real change we have made with the car recently is getting an oil change and air filter check.
PSI on tires has been a little high since the weather is very dry and very hot in a very short period of time.

I tried to listen for the noise outside the car as my wife drove by, but couldn't really hear the noise either do to the noise of the engine or the noise of the tires against the pavement.

Noise does not seem to occur when car is off, in nuetral, and moving. But I wasn't really able to test that at normal driving speeds due to lack of road available for testing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to Oldkid
My 2010 2LT had a sound toward the rear that was speed related that I could hear most while coasting down. It turned out to be the rear brake backing plate that was too close to the drum if I understand what the dealer said. They removed both rear wheels and brake drums to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
driving , noise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode