Taking Longer and Longer to Start - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to IncrediBalt
Taking Longer and Longer to Start

My car has always started right up ever since I got it almost 4 years ago. I was leaving work Monday afternoon and I noticed it took a little longer to turn over. I tusually takes about 2 hits from the starter to turn over. Monday afternoon it took 4. Tuesday morning it took 4. Tuesday afternoon it took 6. Wednesday morning it took 8, as well as in the afternoon. The starter is not clicking like it's not working, it's just taking longer to actually start the car. I drove it home yesterday and tried to reproduce the problem so my boyfriend could hear it, but it started right up. Presumably it will only happen when the car has been sitting for several hours.

I changed the oil over the weekend, but I doubt it's relevant?

Thought it might be a battery issue, since it still had the original battery in it (bought car in Nov '07). Replaced battery yesterday. Still having issues this morning.

The car is/was also throwing a P0442 code. Would this be relevant? I replaced the gas cap yesterday in case that was causing it (the old one had a visibly bad seal on it). He cleared the code yesterday and I don't think it was throwing any others at the time.

I still have the factory warranty on the engine, but since the dealer told me they wouldn't cover the P0442 code, who knows if they'd look into the starting issue?

Is there something I can check into at home? Starter? Ignition? Just say "screw it" and take it to the dealer and hope they cover it?

Car has just over 40K on it

White '07 LT coupe with lotsa purple stuff.

Last edited by IncrediBalt; 07-28-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Is it under warranty?

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

engine/powertrain warranty=yes, but not bumper-to-bumper. But I don't know if this is an engine problem. Honestly, I would have said anything causing a Check Engine Light was an "engine" problem, but the dealer said otherwise on the P0442 and I don't want to deal with that potential BS if I can avoid it.

I asked my bf if it was throwing any codes yesterday when I told him to clear the 442, but he said the battery change cleared them, so I don't know if it will throw any more because of the starting issue until it does it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Staff Alumni

Garage
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
That would definitely make sense, as it sounds like its not building up fuel pressure.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

I forgot about the gas smell, but that is exactly what mine is doing! I see that Recall 06090 is for '06s (is that the one he's talking about?) and mine's an '07. Or is this that other thing I'm too lazy to look for that was a TSB for TX, AZ, CA, and FL? Some other fuel thing.

I swear I'll look for it on my next break, LOL

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

My boyfriend called the dealer and they said it was probably something to do with a cracked vent. I remember getting something in the mail about that years and years ago, but it wasn't automatically in effect for TN.

In any case, I need to take it in on Saturday and they'll look at it on Monday. Can someone loan me a car to get to work in next week? NO COBALTS, LOL

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
couldnt hurt to bring up the fuel pump module though. if it is a tsb they may do something for you on a different year.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

just curious... would either one make the car idle a wee bit roughly? Or throw the P0442 code? It's not gonna stall on me whilst driving, is it? I kinda have to pass through "the 'hood" on my daily commute and don't wanna spend any additional time there with a dead car, LOL

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

UPDATE: took the car in for service at 8am and they called at 11am and said it was done.... and it was the fuel something-or-other, covered either under engine warranty or recall. I'm having my in-laws pick it up, since they live right around the corner and I'm going to their house later today anyway. I'll check the receipt to see exactly what it was. GM Recall 090226 stated "the plastic supply or return port on the modular reservoir assembly may crack... fuel will leak from the area.... fuel may be observed leaking onto the ground (I didn't see any, myself) and vehicle performance may be affected"

anyway, I'm just glad it's fixed! Hopefully the P0442 CEL won't come back either. I don't know if they were related.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Newcomer

Glad that worked out for you ! The beauty of shared information !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode