So Anyone Use Seafoam on Thier 2.2? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
So Anyone Use Seafoam on Thier 2.2?

i used the in tank seafoam did about 1oz per gallon like it says, i dont see much change yet? and now my check engine light when on. i know the CAI can make it go off but it never has before, i tested it it says MAF sensor which means the intake.... anyone have any other problems after using it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Newcomer

I've used it many times in many different vehicles (three teenagers in my household) and have never had a vehicle throw a code immediately thereafter, although I've seen posts from folks who claim that happened. I guess I could see a scenario where that happened if your vehicle was heavily carboned.....

Usually I just run it through the gas tank, but I have fed it through the vacumn hoses too (kinda fun to see the white cloud when you start it up if vehicle is heavily carboned).

A can in the gas tank a couple of times per year and I've never had to have an "injector flush" or whatever JiffyLube calls it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Veteran

Garage
I ran it through my gas tank, oil, and vacuum line and had no issues. I was paranoid doing it, but it worked out fine.

GpB311 Showoff Profile https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ngeles-ca.html

You might also know me as Dick Thrusthumper...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Newcomer

I've used it once, never had a problem. Although I really didn't notice any improvements either. I'm trying a similar product on my current take of gas from Lucas oil, called Deep Clean I believe. We'll see if this does anything special. Just put it in today.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Forum Regular

Don't think you'll see an improvement. Just call it preventive maintainance.

2009 Cobalt LT 2LT - Silverstar Ultra Low beams and fog lights along with a few LEDs.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Forum Regular

I dumped a can in my gas tank tonight and drove for about 20 miles to get it mixed up good. Going to do the crankcase tomorrow.

Will let you all know what I think by Sat or Sun at the latest.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Forum Regular

UPDATE - So I Seafoam-ed the engine today. I put 6 oz in the Crank and drove for 100 miles. Changed the oil, which was only 1800 miles old and somewhat clean. Once we removed the drain plug, it was just dark as hell, with a sludge like appearance.

The oil filter was pretty nasty as well.. There is about a half a tank of the seafoam-ed fuel left in the tank which should run out by tomorrow with the remaining errands I have to do.

I am going to put the remaining 10 oz of seafoam in the crank again in about 1500 miles and see if anything else cleans out.

Not comfortable with doing the vacuum hose bit yet, but I will soon.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Veteran

Garage
I prefer using the seafoam spray when putting it into the vacuum hose. I slide the straw into the vacuum line and then just reconnect the hose and spray it while someone else holds the idles up at like 2500rpm. That way the engine doesnt struggle by just having a disconnected hose. The only problem is you cant really be positive how much youve sprayed in, so you just have to do your best. Ive never had an issue the couple of times ive done it.

GpB311 Showoff Profile https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ngeles-ca.html

You might also know me as Dick Thrusthumper...

Last edited by GpB311; 12-27-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
maf , problems , seafoam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode