08 Cobalt LS 2.2 Throttle Body Issues?! - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

08 Cobalt LS 2.2 Throttle Body Issues?!

Ok. First off this is my girlfriends car. Its an 08 base model ls with a 2.2 liter ecotec. It has about 80k miles on it. I noticed it seemed low on power so I figured I would change the fuel filter, air flter and change the plugs. Well when I checked the air filter I figured I would look at the throttle body to see how gunked up it was. Sure enough it was gunked up. I also noticed it did not look like it was closed all the way so I tried to push it closed more. Sure enough it moved about a quarter of an inch till it was fully closed. I haent touched it yet due to horror stories about reflashing pcm and stuff cause I'm leaving for a vacation in that car here soon. My question is does it need to be replaced or just cleaned out and relearned where it needs to be for fully closed?? I ve searched everywhere and couldn't find a clear answer on my question. Also the car was off when I notcied that it wasn't closed fully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Well, I'd remove it from the intake manifold and clean it with some carb/throttle body cleaner. That should work.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Agreed..i had the same issue and did this and worked fine

East Coast Cobalts: NY [NNY Chapter Leader]| Northern NY Cobalt Concepts

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
hope you didnt ruin the electric motor by manually moving the blade. if it idles really high now that would be the cause.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to apophis05
Ok, I have seen a couple postings about this issue...I have had the same issue. I cleaned the throttle body out and ended up with a high idle.

There was another posting where someone had relearned the idle by holding the clutch half out in the manual and forcing the revs down to "normal" range. I tested said theory. Held the revs at about 750 for 2 mins. IT WORKED!!!!! I don't know if this would work in an auto or not, but I can confirm that for the manual this fixed my high idle issue.

Can we sticky this, or combine the high idle/throttle body cleaning posts, make the solutions easier for people to find?

Last edited by apophis05; 10-07-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Adding request for sticky
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Cobalt Master

Garage
its not suppose to close all the way.. trust me i just took my 2.2 TB off when i put my 2.4 one on, and my car ran perfect. they are suppose to be open slightly.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Yup, it so that when your car is in idle, you have a little bit of air going into your motor to keep it running. Closing it all the way is asking for trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode