Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Sound - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Sound

07 ls 2.2 ecotech w/ 122k on her

driving it home yesterday I hear a weird noise (not normal for a cobalt) to me it sounds like a 4x4 truck running down the highway with mud terrain tires..for those who have never done that it sounds like a piece of the inner fender is touching the tire or like a playing card in the spokes of your bike growing up I start to hear it at 35 MPH and up, its not the engine at speeds I'll put it in neutral and let it coast and the sound stays just gets quieter as the speed drops and at 35 I dont hear it again got underneath the car checked all plastic and have no rubs and nothing loose....

any Ideas?

MINE2007 HEMI RAM QC FLAME RED

HERS 2007 cobalt 2 door LS 2.2 ecotech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Forum Regular

Just starting with the basics don't be offended but did you check the tires to make sure one isn't wore funny?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

yes no abnormal tire wear I checked that when I checked the plastic under the car

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Forum Regular

Ok I figured you check that why you where at it but now we no that’s not the problem. Someone on here will have an idea as to what it is that was the only one I had.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 06:04 AM
Forum God

that sounds real strange. Any way it could be a mechanical component in the engine, or is the sound more like suspension/wheels component? I say you give your car a good check, also try to locate where the sound is coming from while you are driving it. Check your exhaust as well for either leaks or rubbing. I has a weird faint knocking noise coming from the back of my car a few days after I changed my exhaust, figured out it was the exhaust slightly shaking and touching on the bottom seat of the rear suspension. It could be something like that. Good luck and keep us updated on this.

BboyTaktix
- 2011 Plasma Blue pearl WRX STI sedan
- SOLD -S256 TURBO 2.2 -SS/TC body, SS/Tc shocks/struts, B&G springs, 17"mags, TRS FX-R retrofits (50W/6000k)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
See if you have cv grease on the inside of one of the wheels. Maybe cv joint? Just a guess.
Id look at the brakes too.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to IncrediBalt
worn wheel bearings? They're usually kind of a wawawawawa sound like mud tires on pavement.

White '07 LT coupe with lotsa purple stuff.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

took it to Tire kingdom I know most of the guys there....front suspension is tight no play anywhere they did not hear the noise (it was pouring down even I could not hear it on the way home) and its not in the engine like i said at speed i put the car in Neutral and let it coast engine RPM dropped noise still there not in the breaks either, I think its the wheel bearing as well getting a second opinion from the stealership...and then doing the work my self with 122k on her I cant complain thanks for the help everyone

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERAM9 View Post
took it to Tire kingdom I know most of the guys there....front suspension is tight no play anywhere they did not hear the noise (it was pouring down even I could not hear it on the way home) and its not in the engine like i said at speed i put the car in Neutral and let it coast engine RPM dropped noise still there not in the breaks either, I think its the wheel bearing as well getting a second opinion from the stealership...and then doing the work my self with 122k on her I cant complain thanks for the help everyone
I had the same problem in my Concorde and Grand Prix a few years back. Smart play shifting into Neutral at speed -- that's what I was told to do. If the noise persists and changes more with the speed of your car than engine speed, it's most likely the bearing. That's about the noise I would describe in my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode