Surging, Jerking, Jumping - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to vette9190
Surging, Jerking, Jumping

So I have a 09 cobalt coupe ls xfe, I purchesed new.
Over the last 2 months I've noticed a problem while driving. the cars just randomly starts bucking and jerking. it comes and goes it doesn't matter
what gear or speed or rpm. I haven't gotten any codes or anything yet.
I am alittle concerned as I drive for work and this is my only car. I was thinkin it may be an injector or a coil pack. Anyone had this or have any ideas on what may be causing this? I don't want to take it in unless i have no other choice as this would mean i can't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Forum Regular

This is just a shot in the dark but does your car have a external fuel filter it could be the problem if its plugged up.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Newcomer

Hi all, new to the forum.

I am having a problem very similar to Vette

I have found that it's most prevalent under light acceleration. If I punch the throttle it goes away momentarily until I'm light on the pedal again or maintaining a cruising speed. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in.

It also usually doesn't start happening until several minutes of driving (after the car has warmed up) and it idles as smooth as can be, even while it's acting up (coming to a stop light for instance)

I commute about 1 hour each way to work and I'm seeing that this problem doesn't last the entire drive. It usually goes on for about 10-15 minutes and then goes away.

No engine codes.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Newcomer

I'm having a similar problem as well, but with more symptoms. For example, many times when stopping or slowing down my car just shuts off. No bucking or sputtering, just dead. Also I am tending to have to start it several times when starting up, which can be dangerous in the middle of the road. I also have the whole bucking thing, but its usually when I try to accelerate quickly. My car has also been randomly revving its own engine while idling, and my normal idle used to be around 750, but now sputters around 500, and when it revs it revs up to 1500, and it'll do it a few times. Maybe this is more than one problem? But they have all started at the same time, right after we replaced the clutch master cylinder hose....ideas? I do have many codes that come and go, a few being the oxygen sensor and map sensor, any my secondary air intake system.

Also, I almost forgot, any time the gas tank is under half tank full, and it does the stalling thing, once it starts up it usually shows lower gas amount than what was there, sometimes even saying it is empty when I know for a fact it is not, and triggering my low fuel light to go off. Eventually the gas guage will slowly rise back up to the appropriate position, but if the low fuel light came on that will stay on until turning off and restarting the car again.

Last edited by JMBGal12701; 09-03-2011 at 10:03 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

tsande00 – It’s been a few days since you originally posted about your issue with your Cobalt so I was just curious if you’ve made any progress. Has your dealership had any input as to what might be going on?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Forum Regular

this is also happening to me it just started about 2 days ago any ideas people??

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/aLPHaGoD/l_9d014564ce2e10c35f81ef4e81fa92ef.gif
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Rocket Power
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerAdmin

Garage
I had this happen to my 07 and it turned out to be spark plug coils. It was under warranty so the dealer replaced a bad plug coil and all 4 plugs. Been running great ever since.

Yea, tho I cruise through the valley of the shadow of rice, I will fear no Turbo,
for Torque art with me. Thy rods and crankshaft, they comfort me.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Forum Regular

see mine doesnt have any problems once it gets to operating level but when it first starts out in the morning it does that any ideas?

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/aLPHaGoD/l_9d014564ce2e10c35f81ef4e81fa92ef.gif
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBGal12701 View Post
I'm having a similar problem as well, but with more symptoms. For example, many times when stopping or slowing down my car just shuts off. No bucking or sputtering, just dead. Also I am tending to have to start it several times when starting up, which can be dangerous in the middle of the road. I also have the whole bucking thing, but its usually when I try to accelerate quickly. My car has also been randomly revving its own engine while idling, and my normal idle used to be around 750, but now sputters around 500, and when it revs it revs up to 1500, and it'll do it a few times. Maybe this is more than one problem? But they have all started at the same time, right after we replaced the clutch master cylinder hose....ideas? I do have many codes that come and go, a few being the oxygen sensor and map sensor, any my secondary air intake system.

Also, I almost forgot, any time the gas tank is under half tank full, and it does the stalling thing, once it starts up it usually shows lower gas amount than what was there, sometimes even saying it is empty when I know for a fact it is not, and triggering my low fuel light to go off. Eventually the gas guage will slowly rise back up to the appropriate position, but if the low fuel light came on that will stay on until turning off and restarting the car again.
as far as the fuel gauge being incorrect my dad's '99 silverado did that for years then one day the whole truck just quit, ended up having to replace the fuel pump & filters... after that the gauge worked again and it runs fine
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I'm leaning towards this problem being a bad coilpack as well.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode