Auto Lights and Dash Lights Are Not Working - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Auto Lights and Dash Lights Are Not Working

I have a 2006 Cobalt and noticed my auto lights are not coming on or the dash lights. I can turn the auto light on and off by the switch, but they still do not come on. I can not find DRL fuse either. any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Forum Regular

blown fuse? check the wiring, maybe something shorted or got disconnected somehow only things i could think of, or maybe your lights are shot? never heard of that issue before
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Forum Regular

I had the exact opposite problem with my car they wouldn't go off and it was a relay built into the fuse box. On the 2006 cars I believe there is a relay that can be replaced for the lights. I would look and see if that is the problem.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the advice guys. I checked all the fuses and they are good. Is there not a fuse for the day time running lights?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Newcomer

My parents are having a similar problem with their 2008 Cobalt.

My dad was driving the car a few days ago and noticed the Dash Lights suddenly went out. The next day he did some digging and found a blown Fuse for the Parking Lights in the Fuse Block under the hood and replaced it. Problem solved, or so he thought. Moments after installing the new 15A Fuse the Dash Lights were out again. This is also when he noticed his Tail Lights, Side Marker Lights, & Turn Signals weren't working.

So fast forward to yesterday evening. I brought the car into our shop to see if I could find a frayed wire or something obvious that would cause a short circuit and give us the problem we are experiencing. After inspecting under the car, all over the Engine Bay (which included removing the Fuse Block from its mount), under the Dash, and in the Trunk & around the Trunk Lid, I found nothing. I put everything back together and figured I'd try reinstalling another new fuse. Sure enough, all the Parking Lights worked. That is until I showed my father this. I sat down in the driver's seat with the door open and flipped the switch to show him the functioning lights. He told me to sit in the seat and close the door. Just as soon as I shut the door the Lights were out again and upon inspection the new 15A Fuse had blown. Damnit!

Okay, I understand that we must have a Short Circuit happening somewhere. My question for all of you Cobalt owners is do you have a logical place we can look without having to pull out miles of random wires from their looms? There must be a General Location for the Wires related to the Parking Lamps that would at least give us a good starting point.

I've read other threads from people who have experienced loosing their Tail/Side Marker Lights, but the general solution is to replace the Fuse. Obviously this isn't working in our situation.

Would a Chilton's or Haynes Manual be helpful, such as providing an accurate Wiring Diagram? I have plenty of Service Manuals, such as these, for other vehicles I own, but have read they're not all that specific when it comes to the Cobalt. Would purchasing one of these be a waste of time/money?

Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Newcomer

Still having trouble with the "P's" Cobalt.

A week ago, Monday, my Dad and I tore out the majority of the Interior of the car. We had pretty much everything removed but the Dash so we could trace the wires going back to the Tail Lights. We didn't find one freakin' wire that looked frayed, split, burnt, or corroded. We pulled all the bulbs, one at a time, and tested with a Meter at the Fuse Block under the hood (at the Parking Lamp Fuse Plug In) to see if we were still reading a "Short Circuit" each time we removed a new bulb from the circuit. No change, ever. We even started removing other bulbs that had nothing to do with the wiring of the Parking/Tail Lights and still came up with nothing.

Fed up, we put the car back together and tried a new 15A Fuse. Sure enough, everything worked again. Dad drove the car home that evening with no trouble, left for work the next morning and they were fine, but once he got a couple miles down the road, the damn fuse popped.

I did end up purchasing a Haynes Manual for the car. My Dad (who is an electrician) is currently studying the wiring diagrams in hope we can find a suitable place to begin our search again.

I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with our progress. Good or bad.

If anyone has ANY information they believe might help us, please, Please, PLEASE Post Up!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvis100 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I checked all the fuses and they are good. Is there not a fuse for the day time running lights?
there is a DRL specific fuse near the top/back of the fuse box in the engine bay
there should be a diagram on the underside of the fuse box lid...

Make it pretty, and she'll think it's fast.
Jake1295/2008 LT (Balto)/Fayetteville, AR
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Expert

Garage
I had this EXACT problem not even 2 weeks ago. Did you replace your speakers or interior recently? Mine had the grey wire shorting out because it was pin hed against the door when i put the panel back on. Get a test light and check the grey wire at the info button connection. Normal operation is ground when off then positive when dash lights are on (voltage varied to dim the lights). My parking fuse kept blowing anytime the auto lights turned on the dash lighting.
Also try a 20a fuse over a 15. If the 20 blows its probably a 12v constant wire (brown for dash lights) but if it doesnt blow id bet jts a low voltage wire like the grey one

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Note too if youre lights are working until you close the drivers side door, start there where the wire pass from the interior to to door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode