NEED HELP: Vibration at Highway Speeds - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
NEED HELP: Vibration at Highway Speeds

I have a 2010 Cobalt LS. I've got some new wheels on it and H&R Springs.

About a month ago I noticed a vibration occurring between 80km/h and 110km/h. Above 110 you could still feel the vibration, but very faint. I figured it was a simple solution, brought the car in to a garage and got my wheels balanced. That was $65! Took the car on the highway, no change in the vibration. So now, $65, no solution.

I had no abnormal wear on my tires, the car doesn't pull to either side, and it had an alignment earlier this summer, so I figure it's probably not an alignment issue, so I make an appointment with the dealership. I know it's not going to turn out good, because none of my trips to the dealership fix my issues properly.

So now the car is at the dealership, and they call me and say they checked the car over, they feel the vibration, and they want to do a Road Force Balance on my wheels. I told them I already had a balance done, but they said that the "Road Force Balancing" is much better. I ask the price, he said $99 and tax. I asked him, "will this fix the problem?" and he says yeah that's the only thing we can see that would be causing the issues, so I told them to go ahead. I went in took the car, my "Service Advisor" was gone home so another guy looked at the papers and said yes, the problem was resolved by doing the Road Force Balancing. I paid them and left. go on the high way, I reach 80km/h, no vibration, reach 85km/h, BAM same vibration, just waits another 5km/h before occurring now.

Basically, I can't get any satisfaction for any issues I go to the dealership with, and I don't think any of my aftermarket parts are the issues here, so I'd like some of your input as to what you think the issues may be. I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to cars, and I don't want to have to pay for more "fixes" that don't fix my car.

Any ideas would help!! Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

bump, anything?

2010 Cobalt LS XFE
GMPP Intake - H&R Sport Springs - Morimoto MH1 Retrofitted Headlights - Alpine IDA x305 Head Unit - MPx Shorty Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Newcomer

Send a message via MSN to Robbie Cobalt Send a message via Yahoo to Robbie Cobalt
Lightbulb Vibration

I have a 2005 Cobalt LT, and the only time I have had vibration issues in the speed range you describe on mine has been related to tires. My Cobalt came with Continentals, and about 35,000 miles, all four started to vibrate. The dealer here told me that they couldn't find anything, but about a week later, one totally disintegrated, followed shoirtly thereafter by the other three. Since then I've had no vibration issues until last month (at 116,000 miles) a vibration again raised its ugly head. I replaced the tires, and Voila!!! Smooth ride once more. If you can't afford to just replace the tires, see if you can locate a fellow Cobalt owner, swap his for yours, and see if it fixes the problem. If so, Great! If not, then back to the drawing board. I'm just passing on my experience, and I hope it helps.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I have a 2010 Cobalt LS. I've got some new wheels on it and H&R Springs.

About a month ago I noticed a vibration occurring between 80km/h and 110km/h. Above 110 you could still feel the vibration, but very faint. I figured it was a simple solution, brought the car in to a garage and got my wheels balanced. That was $65! Took the car on the highway, no change in the vibration. So now, $65, no solution.

I had no abnormal wear on my tires, the car doesn't pull to either side, and it had an alignment earlier this summer, so I figure it's probably not an alignment issue, so I make an appointment with the dealership. I know it's not going to turn out good, because none of my trips to the dealership fix my issues properly.

So now the car is at the dealership, and they call me and say they checked the car over, they feel the vibration, and they want to do a Road Force Balance on my wheels. I told them I already had a balance done, but they said that the "Road Force Balancing" is much better. I ask the price, he said $99 and tax. I asked him, "will this fix the problem?" and he says yeah that's the only thing we can see that would be causing the issues, so I told them to go ahead. I went in took the car, my "Service Advisor" was gone home so another guy looked at the papers and said yes, the problem was resolved by doing the Road Force Balancing. I paid them and left. go on the high way, I reach 80km/h, no vibration, reach 85km/h, BAM same vibration, just waits another 5km/h before occurring now.

Basically, I can't get any satisfaction for any issues I go to the dealership with, and I don't think any of my aftermarket parts are the issues here, so I'd like some of your input as to what you think the issues may be. I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to cars, and I don't want to have to pay for more "fixes" that don't fix my car.

Any ideas would help!! Thanks

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

bump, anything?
when you got your wheels, did you get hub centric rings installed too? basically, they are for centering the wheels to your hub instead of your lugs. if the wheels aren't centered perfectly with the hub(not the lugs) you could possibly be getting the vibration from the lack of hub centric rings. most tire/wheel shops should be able to help with this. should cost no more than $20(US$)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerVeteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Masterz
Check all your 4 wheels if you've lost any weighing(right traduction for pesée?)... If so you need your wheel to be rebalanced. I'm pretty sure that this is your problem.

My car showoff
Want nice deal on Aftermarket parts? Pm me for price from my sponsor!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Contributor

Did the problem begin when you changed rims? If so why not go back to them and see if they'll do anything for you.

I don't know about hub centric rings but it sounds like something to consider.

I'd also consider putting rear tires to front to see if it changes anything...or maybe try putting the front tires back on the original rims.

My guess is eventually you'll see uneven wear on the tires.

2010 Cobalt XFE
2006 Chevy Colorado 4x4
2005 Toyota Corolla
2013 Kubota M5640 SUD
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Prospect

I would check out the hub itself . could b a spanked wheel bearing or tie rod end causing your wheel to shimmy but if that were the case you should be able to feel it in lower speeds as well as highway speeds .
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If your new wheels don't have centric rings and you tork your lug nuts tight while your vehicle is on the ground chances are your wheels will be off center. In this case lift your wheel loosen nuts and retork while wheel is in the air, apply park brake for rear. 4 or 5 lugs? because 4 is worst for this problem. Other optimal solution is get centric rings for your vehicle.

Last edited by Coby7; 10-18-2011 at 02:04 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:46 AM
Forum Regular

Garage
Did you have the rotors turned? I had the same issue with mine fixed last week. When I was going around 70 mph (a little faster than yours), my car would vibrate so bad that I was afraid that the car would rattle itself to pieces. My mechanic ended up turning the rotors on the lay (sp?) and that ended up fixing it. No more vibrating.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I can't see how rotors would make your car vibrate unless you are applying brakes. His vibrates while driving.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
I had a very similar problem. Because I tend to put the gas a little too far to the floor on occasion my front tires wore a bit too quickly. This caused the car to feel like it was vibrating around 60+ mph. I put the car up on stands and rotated the tires; this solved the problem. Would be an easy cheap fix if it works!

Dont forget to cross the front two and bring the back straight forward to garauntee complete tire rotation after doing this twice (usual life of tires).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread