Crack in Gas Tank - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Crack in Gas Tank

so i had my fuel pump fixed under the recall. well the other day i started smelling gas again like i did before. i took it in and they said they would take care of it. i got a call saying that it wasnt anything in the fuel like but that the fuel neck on the tank had a crack in it. they wanted 800 to replace the tank. anyone else ever experience anything like this? anyone have any ideas on a easy fix? was thinking jbweld or something... a buddy of mine mentioned the couplers they use in plumbing... not sure exactly where the crack is or how bad it is. any issues with driving it? i had just filled up the tank when i started smelling it. i have about 3/4 tank now and cant smell it. the dealer even said i will prob only notice it on a near full tank. any help is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebalt07 View Post
so i had my fuel pump fixed under the recall. well the other day i started smelling gas again like i did before. i took it in and they said they would take care of it. i got a call saying that it wasnt anything in the fuel like but that the fuel neck on the tank had a crack in it. they wanted 800 to replace the tank. anyone else ever experience anything like this? anyone have any ideas on a easy fix? was thinking jbweld or something... a buddy of mine mentioned the couplers they use in plumbing... not sure exactly where the crack is or how bad it is. any issues with driving it? i had just filled up the tank when i started smelling it. i have about 3/4 tank now and cant smell it. the dealer even said i will prob only notice it on a near full tank. any help is appreciated
Well, I would get it fixed one way or another. I know that gasoline (and the ethanol in it) is corrosive so you have to make sure that whatever you use to fill the crack is not going to eat away at it. Also, by having a small crack, you can have air leak in the tank and that could cause a CEL, similar to when you forget to put the cap back on the car after fueling. Maybe finding a used gas tank off of a cobalt somewhere are bring it to the garage could save you some money. Forget about the actual dealers themselves, they only want to sell you new stuff because that is how they are going to make their money. A small garage on the other hand, just wants your business so they will install a used one.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

anyone else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode