Can't Pump in Gas into My Car - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Can't Pump in Gas into My Car

As of now, I can not leave the trigger locked in or it will either stop itself; or spill fuel over my fender. I have only used super unleaded and unleaded in my car, though, I always configure the pump to an even dollar amount, tried a few times to fill it to the fullest, and occasionally pour seafoam into the tank. Can anyone please tell me what is wrong, what is a wrong with what I am doing, and possibly part number(s). Hopefully I could fix this myself, just tell me from personal experience. Really appreciate the replys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 AM
Veteran

Could your fuel gauge be reading wrong. The tank is actually full but your gauge is not showing full. IDK, I have never heard of this problem before. You may need to take it in and get it checked. Maybe someone else can way in on this.

Injen CAI/SRI Intake/2.25" Custom Catback Exhaust/Eibach Sportline Springs/17" Drag Concept Rim/ARK Shorty Antenna/Black Out Tail Lights, Side Markers, 3rd Break Light
2006 Black LS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Maybe the filler neck return hose has a kink or one of the evap solnoid is stuck any code? When you put gas in, the air in the tank flows out through the evap canister to catch the fumes.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Thanks for the replies.Idk, I dont believe my fuel gauge is incorrect(since it goes up and down depending on how much I drive and daily driving). Yea, it sucks I cant even leave the pump on auto without gas spilling out every 20 cents. It takes me 20 minutes to fill it just to $15 of gas. I was just wondering if anyone hear or seen this problem and resolved it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Filler neck ''check valve'' maybe is stuck closed. That's that little plastic valve inline with the return line connecting almost to the very top of the filler neck. When you fill the tank with gas, the air in the tank has to escape through this line if it doesn't the nozzle reacts like the tank is full.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Filler neck ''check valve'' maybe is stuck closed. That's that little plastic valve inline with the return line connecting almost to the very top of the filler neck. When you fill the tank with gas, the air in the tank has to escape through this line if it doesn't the nozzle reacts like the tank is full.
Thanks Coby, I feel that you know what your talking about. Is this an easy fix or a dealership job? Definition of easy-something that can be fixed with just flathead/basic tools lol.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry never saw this post get pushed down.

Well it would easier to work on if the car was on a hoist but you can probably do it with a creeper and jacks. You will probably have to remove the neck to change the check valve and no it isn't a big job. Pre-spray all the screws with loosen all or liquid wrench first ahead of time. The rest are just clips that hold the hoses to the tank. But I would get underneath first and inspect for damage. Sometimes ice build up will kink a hose and all it needs is to be straighten out.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Last edited by Coby7; 11-17-2011 at 05:57 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you don't see any damage from underneath disconnect smaller rubber hose from tank and go try to pump a few gallons in. If it works good then you know it's your vent tube, but this might give you a check engine light which should go away once you reconnect or repair vent tube. If you still have the same problem to fill well then you know it is your filler neck. Maybe somebody stuffed something down the neck just to be mischeivous or to piss you off. Have you been flurting with somebody's wife or girlfriend lol

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
If you don't see any damage from underneath disconnect smaller rubber hose from tank and go try to pump a few gallons in. If it works good then you know it's your vent tube, but this might give you a check engine light which should go away once you reconnect or repair vent tube. If you still have the same problem to fill well then you know it is your filler neck. Maybe somebody stuffed something down the neck just to be mischeivous or to piss you off. Have you been flurting with somebody's wife or girlfriend lol
haha yeah maybe I got some haters that dont want to come out of the closet, but I talked to local GM dealership. He said it's most likely my pessure in my tank is maxed out, and he would need to replace the pressure box or w.e. It's $300 some for that replaced, 500 for everything around it! He said it is plugged and has to be changed. Went to napa, a guy had the same problem. He just dropped the tank and took the screen out lol.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Let us know how you make out. I would take it to a regular garage where they sometimes have work arounds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode