Steering Wheel Issues - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Steering Wheel Issues

Over the weekend i toke on the project of switching steering wheels on my base LT to one that has cruise control and radio controls.

I had the assistance of my father who knows a bit about cars but likes to tinker more than anything else.

We toke off the steering wheel and the clock spring...cap? came off with the steering wheel and the ribbon cable went everywhere(though still attached)

The guides i was working off of didn't mention the alignment so the steering wheel was close but not quite lined up,now the steering wheel is a bit to the left when going straight and the turn signals dont automatically go off at the right points,but that just means i'll have to take it off and put it back on

Now what the problem is,is that i don't believe we got the clockspring...cap? back in right and when i made a sharp turn i heard some clicking and maybe a snap and now the service airbag soon light is on

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerExpert

hmmm you might wanna get a new clock spring. next time you take the wheel off, loosen the center bolt until its barely on, but leave it on a little bit so when you pull the wheel off it stops and you dont damage the clock spring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode