Overheating...what else Could This Be? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Question Overheating...what else Could This Be?

2006 Cobalt LS 2.2Liter Ecotec

Wife decided to drive her cobalt 4 hours the other day to Indiana (from Ohio). She got almost there, and called, said her check engine light came on.

She went to autozone, they pulled the code, and it said the engine coolant temp was high. He sold her some coolant. He added a little, but said it was about 85% full, but topped it off. So, she drove home, and there was no leaks that I could find (it was still 100% full after the fill from autozone).

Check engine light went off after about 2 hours of driving. Once she got home a few days later, her light came back on. I checked the coolant, and it's still full. I went to autozone and had them check the code, and it was the same code, engine coolant temp was high.

So, i bought the temp sensor and replaced it...no more check engine light. I noticed it still runs kind of high temperature wise..and the fan didn't kick on until it hit 220 degrees. so i went ahead and replaced the thermostat too. now that the thermostat has been replaced, the car starts up and heats to 185 and hovers there with no fan...so i thought we were all set. took it out for a drive to test it out, and it still hovered at about 185 for most of the drive. i hit a stop light and it got to 192...i get it home, park in the garage, and let it run a bit longer at an idle...but it got up to 216 degrees and i turned it off...

her car has always stayed around 180-190..hitting 195 on a hot summer day in stop/go traffic. any other ideas as to why it would be getting so warm?

Temp Sensor replaced
Thermostat replaced
Coolant is topped off (from the overflow tank)
No leaks in the overflow tank, any hoses, gooseneck, etc that I can see...
To test for leaks, I drove it for about 10 mins, let it idle another 20, and zero leaks AND the fluid level was at the same spot in overflow tank.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerExpert

The fan isn't supposed to kick on until 220, and a running temp of 195 and parked temp of 210ish seems normal. Mine goes over 200 quite often when I stop moving
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I think you found and fixed your problem but don't trust your work. If the check engine light doesn't come on and the fan turns on at 220 you should be OK.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Does it get up to 216 though? That is what I'm worried about. We've had the car for about 5 years, and has only gotten to 200 maybe 2 or 3 times...

I just thought it was strange that all of a sudden we're floating around 200. Any idea when it throws a light for hi temp?

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
I think you found and fixed your problem but don't trust your work. If the check engine light doesn't come on and the fan turns on at 220 you should be OK.

I truly agree with you 100%. Even after an oil change (something I've done 50 times), I check for leaking oil from the drain bolt and the filter about 5 times after 2-3 test drives....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
In the fall our habits change also. If you stopped using A/C for instance coolant temperature will rise because when A/C is on there is always one of the radiator fans that is on to cool refridgerant and by default the coolant. I would give it a week and if you don't get a CEL code then rest at ease. I have confidence in your work so should you.

Last edited by Coby7; 11-06-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: grammar
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by faultlessfocus View Post
Does it get up to 216 though? That is what I'm worried about. We've had the car for about 5 years, and has only gotten to 200 maybe 2 or 3 times...

I just thought it was strange that all of a sudden we're floating around 200. Any idea when it throws a light for hi temp?

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

I truly agree with you 100%. Even after an oil change (something I've done 50 times), I check for leaking oil from the drain bolt and the filter about 5 times after 2-3 test drives....

I have actually got my car up to about 235, but thats was only because I was going up a mountain with about 1000lbs in my car (friends), In the 100 degree weather, and the a/c full blast, and It was doing just fine no lights or anything, so you should be all good

Future mods:
chevy 572 c.i. motor insatall
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

I’m sorry to hear about the overheating concern you’re having on your vehicle. I know that idling in general does can cause a vehicle’s temperature to rise. If I can look into any recall information for you, or if you would like customer assistance to help you work with a dealership towards resolving this concern, please send me a private message with your name, contact info, and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Now GM wants to help. I usually have to get mad and make a scene
before they will help me!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Veteran

Garage
I doubted it really was any sort of customer service at first, but that profile posts here n there and always offers some sort of advice, so Ive given in and just figure its someone being helpful when they can.

GpB311 Showoff Profile https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ngeles-ca.html

You might also know me as Dick Thrusthumper...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

well its been a few days, and under normal driving conditions the car hasn't gone over 195...so we might be good!! we'll see. i need to check the fluid levels again and see if they look ok. if not, i'll be posting again soon!

thanks again guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode